The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

UV torch recommendation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
greenhout
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-02

UV torch recommendation Empty
PostSubject: UV torch recommendation   UV torch recommendation Empty7/2/2015, 3:03 pm

I will be in the south of France in a few weeks in an area where there are two Euscorpius species and one Buthus. I want to be able to wander around at night to find them and thought a uv torch would do the trick. Can anyone recommend one that I can buy in the UK that has a decent range without breaking the bank. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: UV torch recommendation   UV torch recommendation Empty7/2/2015, 6:30 pm

I got a pretty cheap torch off amazon that does the job. It's very similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/LingsFire%C2%AE-Detection-Blacklight-Flashlight-Counterfeits/dp/B00YRZ2X54/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435878806&sr=8-4&keywords=uv+torch+scorpion. It works up to several metres away. For Euscorpius you're mostly going to be looking along old walls and buildings so you won't need a huge range on the torch anyway.

For Buthus occitanus I would recommend flipping rocks during the day time. When I was searching for Buthus ibericus in Portugal, this method gave the best result (to be honest I saw nothing at night using a UV torch). Rocks around the size of a football and above gave the best results as they were big enough to retain a little humidity under them. Be careful if you do find B. occitanus, though. They are very quick to sting.

Good luck hunting.
Back to top Go down
greenhout
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-02

PostSubject: Re: UV torch recommendation   UV torch recommendation Empty7/5/2015, 5:30 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I have ordered that one. Did you by any chance come across any Scolopendra whilst search for Buthus in Spain?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UV torch recommendation   UV torch recommendation Empty

Back to top Go down

UV torch recommendation
Page 1 of 1