The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Uroctonus mordax Care?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewLee
Pandinus

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-01-07

Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty
PostSubject: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/8/2015, 12:49 am

Hello, I'm new here and a scorpion newbie. I am planning to get a Uroctonus Mordax but I'm not sure how to care for it. Can anyone kind enough give me a link to a caresheet? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/8/2015, 3:26 pm

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum.

There's quite a few threads about this species posted over the years. Use the search function at the top of the page and type in mordax and you'll find a lot of them.

There are also two scorpion of the months written about this species on venomlist. Uroctonus mordax by iheartmantids and Uroctonus mordax by Drapion.

For some reason when I first try to load up venomlist I'm linked to some weird page but if I press back and then try again the website loads up.
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/9/2015, 6:47 pm

Ok, thanks for the help. But one last question, can they eat earwigs or pillbugs?
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/9/2015, 6:48 pm

Also, I know this is a stupid question but can they eat rice weevils by any chance?
Back to top Go down
SoHum
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/11/2015, 6:02 pm

Hi there- from my experience with them, they'll eat anything their own size our smaller without a hard candy shell- they don't show any real interest in beetles or pill bugs. They'll eat crickets, small earthworms, surprisingly large centipedes, spiders, flies, wasps, roaches, caterpillars, pretty much anything...I collected mine where I live, so I just go out and catch whatever appropriately sized bugs I find and throw a few in. They're pretty voracious when they're hungry- I went out of town for a week once and forgot to feed her before I left, when I came back and dumped in 6 small crickets, the next thing I knew she was eating one, had one in one claw and was going for a third.

They live in a very moist forest environment, for substrate I use a mix of reptile sand, local soil (which is pretty sandy as well) and store bought sphagnum moss to help with humidity. Add in a couple hides, rocks, sticks (they seem to like to climb a bit sometimes), some fallen leaves, some wood lice or pill bugs for janitorial purposes, and boom, natural habitat. If you want to use local soil in your mix, go for it as long as it's not heavy clay, just pasteurize it (bring it to 170°F briefly and let it cool normally) first to kill any possible sources of contamination. The substrate should be moist but not so wet that you can wring out more than a drop or two if you squeeze a handful.

I have a mesh top terrarium, when it starts to dry out I just slowly, evenly pour a couple ounces of water in thru the mesh. It rains often enough in their natural environment that I can't imagine it being a problem, and it's been fine doing this for months now. Just keep an eye out for mold, if you get any it's time for fresh substrate, don't let dead bugs sit around, and you'll probably be fine. Room temps are fine, it gets 90 here in the summer and down to right around freezing in the winter.

Oh and everybody loves pics! I'll add one of my setup when I get home.
Back to top Go down
SoHum
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/11/2015, 7:43 pm

Uroctonus mordax Care? IMG_20150110_152732_zps61be6d70
Back to top Go down
AndrewLee
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty1/11/2015, 8:23 pm

Thanks sooo much for everything guys. It really helped. thanx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uroctonus mordax Care?   Uroctonus mordax Care? Empty

Back to top Go down

Uroctonus mordax Care?
Page 1 of 1