The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New too this thing!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nickscorpion
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-10-12

New too this thing! Empty
PostSubject: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/12/2014, 10:23 pm

Hey guys! im new to scorpions and all these creatures. I have kept poison dart frogs and have been researching a little on scorpions. So far i have heard emperor scorpions are the best for the first time. Would you guys agree? If not which scorpion? I know they need:

10 gallons ish per scorpion
high humidity
upper 70 to lower 80 for temperature
hides
no specific lighting
water
they are nocturnal
they burrow a lot

And that is the basics. Im sure i know some more small things like food but what would you say im missing? Also what scorpion do you recommend for a beginner?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/13/2014, 5:35 am

Welcome! Seems like you are on the right track and good on you for doing your research before hand. It really depends on what your interested in keeping though. The conditions you describe suit a forest scorpion but it'd obviously be quite the opposite for a desert scorp.

Only thing I notice there really is I keep them a tad warmer in the mid to upper 80's, if you can give them a temperature gradient then even better. Also make sure to provide them with a deep enough substrate to burrow in and one that holds a burrow and humidity well like coco fibre/eco earth.

Anyway as you say the emperors are a recommended beginner scorp but really any forest scorp from Heterometrus or Pandinus are just as easy to care for, basically exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Nickscorpion
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/13/2014, 12:12 pm

Okay thank you! Im thinking of putting an exo terra rainforest heat pad on the side of the tank so it will be around 85 on the side and 80 on the other. Do you think this will work? I have a lot of eco earth bricks i will be using for them. What do you guys do about lighting for emperor scorpions. I have heard they dont need any light is this true? I have a tank thats a 15 gallon with a full glass top. Would this be okay or do they need a lot of ventilation? And just to make sure forest scorpions are the best option for beginners right? Thanks for all the help!
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/13/2014, 1:15 pm

Yes, a mat on the back or side will work. Make sure it's big enough for the tank. You want to be aiming for around half of the enclosure to be at the upper reaches of its temperature requirements. With too small a mat you can end up with only a tiny area being warm enough, and the rest of the tank being too cold.

Lighting certainly isn't necessary but you can light the enclosure during the daytime if you choose.

Restricted ventilation will help to keep the humidity high. No ventilation will cause stagnant air and encourage mould etc. Are you able to get the glass top drilled?

Forest scorpions i.e. Pandinus spp. and Heterometrus spp., are generally trouble free and make good first scorpions.

Back to top Go down
Nickscorpion
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/13/2014, 5:37 pm

If my tank is 24x12x15 what size heat pad would i need? a small, extra small, large? Also if my house is anywhere from 68 to 75 normally around 72 will one heat pad work for the tank? My living room will normally stay around 72 but like every home it changes. I will see if i can drill a hole in the middle and put some mesh on it. Just to start looking where are some good places or dealers to get emperor scorpions? Thank you guys!
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/15/2014, 5:33 am

Unfortunately because heat mats need to be on the back or side of the enclosure it makes them pretty ineffective so it's hard to say a certain size will be just right as every set-up is different. You might have to just get one and see what temps you get. I'd start with one that covers at least over half of the longest side. I gave up with heat mats eventually as I find one 50w infrared bulb can heat multiple enclosures more efficiently and with more control but probably not worth it just for one tank.

If you're in the UK, Emperors are getting harder to find but they're still about, mainly in pet shops.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty10/17/2014, 5:29 pm

Hey nick welcome aboard!

Have you decided on what to get yet? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New too this thing!   New too this thing! Empty

Back to top Go down

New too this thing!
Page 1 of 1