The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What do you do with roach frass?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

What do you do with roach frass? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty7/31/2014, 1:27 pm

Hey all.
i've been keeping a fairly small colony of lats. And every few days to a week, the enclosure develops a layer of frass.
What i do is I would remove it after a while and clean out the tub. It's a small 1 gallon plastic tub that houses around 100+ adult and juvenile roaches. Easy to clean at this point.

But what do you do when it becomes established to the point where frass develops inches upon inches in just a matter of days?
Do you just keep it as is, like a substrate?
Personally, i remove it before it gets soggy when it mixes with veggie and fruit goo coz that's when it begins to smell.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/8/2014, 12:28 am

Get a mini vacuum.  tongue 
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/8/2014, 4:41 am

good idea. But how often should you clean the frass? Like, do you wait for it to accumulate to a certain amount before removing
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/8/2014, 3:53 pm

I used to let it build up a little and turn their tub sideways so it all spills into the corner and wipe up as much as I could with a damp paper towel and then a dry one to pick up more and dry it up a little. That was like once a week. (I don't have a colony anymore as I've downgraded my inverts and it was a hassle to keep up with their feeder colonies with only a handful of predators to eat them)
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/9/2014, 9:23 am

I see.
Their crap stinks to hell when fruit goo mixes with it. Especially tomatoes and watermelons.
Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/9/2014, 6:14 pm

At least it's not cricket frass.  Puke 
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty8/9/2014, 11:35 pm

Cricket frass smells whether wet or dry. And they smell more like roaches than, well, roaches.
haha anyways thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with roach frass?   What do you do with roach frass? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you do with roach frass?
Page 1 of 1