The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LupinIV
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-06-08

Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty
PostSubject: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty6/19/2014, 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if anyone here would really have an answer to this question seeing as i don't think most of you would make this mistake. But i went into a local pet shop a few weeks ago to find what was labeled an "asian black scorpion" In an enclosure with an inch of sand at most and a humidity of 30%. This shop is more of a dog, cat and fish store but have a couple reptiles. I told the lady who works in the section that they need a heavier substrate and much higher humidity, but after returning a week later it was not corrected. I am interested in saving this scorp but am a financially stretched college student and have money wrapped into a few other projects. Anybody have a guess at how long it could last under these conditions? The lady said they have had him a month when i first stopped in so its been just over a month.
Back to top Go down
Lord Wilmore
Pandinus

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty6/21/2014, 7:00 pm

Well Petco has all their emps on a thin dry layer of bark with a water dish and they last awhile. I imagine its a.serious stressor, but they can last awhile as long as its not hot. Then again, I live in Houston which has a somewhat higher humidity--though not high enough for a forest scorpion
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty6/23/2014, 11:12 pm

Well honestly that scorp won't last long if it doesn't get ICU-ed right away.

I've had my H.spinifer on dry substrate (not sand) for a couple of years now since our country has naturally high humidity all year round without any dehydration problem. It was sealed all the time, and had three 4-inch wide water dishes inside, no supplemental heating (or else oven roast), and was kept at the dark side for almost the whole day. They're all behaving normally and even gave birth once. Proves that they only need to have the humidity and temp right (plus a source of internal moisture i.e. bugs & drinking water) to thrive.
Back to top Go down
Lord Wilmore
Pandinus

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty6/24/2014, 5:25 pm

I feel stupid for having answered this, one because I am new at scorpions (though not inverts), and two, because one of my H. petersii that I bought from a pet store being kept in similarly poor conditions just croaked. I will post about this problem elsewhere. I just wanted to own up to my previous post.
Back to top Go down
kellysaxez
Pandinus
kellysaxez

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty5/9/2015, 3:53 pm

OMG!!! If you read my post in scorpion id forum you will see I had the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE!!!! Sad so frieaking sad what these stores do! I promised myself I will NEVER go back in there as I can't afford to A. get emotionally upset for the rest of the week over my inability to educate these ignorant assholes and B. can't afford to take home every abused or neglected exotic I come across.

Let me know how you care for your H. petersil, as this is what mine turned out to be I found out today. thanks,

Kelly
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty5/10/2015, 9:19 pm

Wonder what happened to his scorp? Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?   Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last? Empty

Back to top Go down

Desert care for a forest species. How long could it last?
Page 1 of 1