The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty
PostSubject: Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor   Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty5/10/2014, 8:03 am

A question for the experts, at what instar do male Centruroides bicolor show the longer tsil segments and the tooth in their chelae?

I have what i believe to be a subadult male but it is already showing slightly longer final tail segments and the claw tooth. I believe he still has a moult to go but just want to be sure as i have a female ready for mating. She is a lot larger than him too

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor   Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty5/16/2014, 1:57 am

Yes, at sub adult you can see the extended tail segment of a male C. bicolor although if you only had one and you wasn't familiar with the species you'd probably still be confused....Not a relevant problem for you though Wink
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor   Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty5/16/2014, 2:34 am

Thanks for the info Wink

I am patiently waiting for him to moult and he is going straight in with my female Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor   Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty5/16/2014, 4:32 am

Hmm, i think you'd be best to wait 2 or 4 weeks after he's adult before you put him in (or perhaps that what you meant). Fresh males can be withdrawn or seem to lack the confidence of mature adult males. My fresh bicolor male ran away from the female and done everything he could to keep as much distance between them as possible. Despite reruns over the next few weeks he still lacked the confidence to get on with it. Figured out in the end that he may have associated the strong phenomenal odours with danger because it wasn't until i made a fresh mating tank up that they mated. Whenever he went in with the female in her enclosure he hid away and i simply think the main mistake was putting them together before he had confidently stepped into his role of mature male (not psychology, physiology). The strong pheromone smell within the females enclosure triggered some kind of danger reaction that he reacted to each time i put him in her enclosure.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor   Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor Empty5/16/2014, 4:33 am

Yes, I dont plan to introduce him with the female until he eats a couple of times. Thanks for the concern Wink
Back to top Go down

Sexual dimorphism Centruroides bicolor
Page 1 of 1