The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Phonetic pronunciation of species

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty
PostSubject: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/12/2014, 12:49 pm

First, I must say I don't post much on this forum, but I read it A LOT! Everyone on here is very knowledgeable or at least has an idea where to find info if they don't have it.

I really like sticking to Latin names when referring to any of our arachnids, but I do not know how to properly pronounce all of the names correctly. I would like to change that. Partly because it makes me feel like I know at least a little of what I'm talking about; and I don't know if every scorp has a common name, but they definitely have a partly established Latin name.

Thanks,

Aaron.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/13/2014, 3:28 am

We all feel the same aaron. Thanks for sharing Smile
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/20/2014, 5:12 am

Here are some I got off-hand from knowledgeable people:

Tityus (Tit-yuss, not Tit-EE-uss)
Hadogenes (Had-OH-JEN-əs, not Had-OH-jens or Had-OH-jeans)
Grosphus (grōs-fus, easy right?)
Vaejovis (Veh-juh-vis, not Vay-HO-vis, like I was pronouncing it)

These are ones people often have difficulty with just off the top of my head. Got any in particular? Just ask.
Back to top Go down
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: more clarification and schooling in scorpion phonetics   Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/25/2014, 11:04 am

Sorry for a late reply, cold and long days at work make me feel like doing nothing when I get home.

So yes that's awesome, those are helpful Patcho, thanks.

I just acquired 3 Grosphus Grandidieri, and have had my Hadogenes Paucidens for ~6 mths. And have had my Heterometrus Spinifer for ~1.5 yrs now.

Sadly the G.G is the only one I knew for sure how to phonetically pronounce, French class paid off eventually.

I assume H. Paucidens would be Paw-se-dens

Heterometrus would be Het-er-oh-met-truss   or   het-er-oh-meet-truss ?

Sorry if my phonetic break down is too oddball.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/27/2014, 12:11 am

Het-er-oh-met-truss

And H. paucidens would be pronounced H. paw-see-dens. G. grandidieri (gran-di-dee-ehr-ee).
Also, another thing: Genera names are always capitalized in a scientific name, and any specific epithet would be lowercase. Like Centruroides nitidus. Just for your information. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty2/27/2014, 8:53 pm

Well i used to read Tityus as Ti-tha-yus. I've never heard anyone pronounce it to me personally so i just went with it for the longest time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phonetic pronunciation of species    Phonetic pronunciation of species  Empty

Back to top Go down

Phonetic pronunciation of species
Page 1 of 1