The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nikky.Werr
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-01-26

Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty
PostSubject: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/26/2014, 4:16 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and found a scorpion in my backyard. I have no idea what kind it is and I'm interested in learning more about scorpions in general. Thanks in advance!

Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? 2014-011

Last edited by Nikky.Werr on 1/26/2014, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nikky.Werr
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/26/2014, 8:53 pm

Would it be safe to keep this as a pet? The area I found it is very dry/arid and is mostly sandy and rocky. Found it in Azua, Dominican Republic.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/26/2014, 9:32 pm

I'm thinking a Rhopalurus sp. either abudi or bonettii

Hopefully someone better could pitch in Smile

And oh, all scorpions should be treated as dangerous as a precaution but with proper knowledge of the species your interested in, awareness, proper resources and respect for the creature you could keep anything as a pet. Provided it is legal in your area, though
Back to top Go down
Nikky.Werr
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/26/2014, 9:51 pm

That's very helpful, I'll keep checking for updates just in case but now I can do some more targeted research on it. Thank you!
You're right about the last bit, I will be extra cautious since I have no experience whatsoever and I'm gonna start on the research now.

After some research I find a lot of Rhopalurus Junceus and Rhopalurus Garridoi but not really anything concise on Abudi or Bonetti. This is probably a noob question but anyways is Rhopalurus Junceus the genus of that scorpion? So then Abudi or Bonetti is the species of one of those two genus? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/27/2014, 6:24 pm

R.junceus, garridoi and priceps are the most common representatives of the genus available in the global scorpion trade. Abudi and bonettii is rarely seen or available in the trade. Good for you though Very Happy

Ot: you don't happen to be the same person from Dominican republic who has the really huge turtle enclosure plan i've seen in a turtle forum, are you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nikky.Werr
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/27/2014, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info Very Happy and sorry, no, I'm not the same person. Your replies have really helped me. I've been letting my scorpion kinda get used to his enclosure but since it's wild caught and i'm not sure the last time he fed, I fed him a cricket today. I was about to take the cricket out cuz he was ignoring it when the cricket kind of annoyed him and he grabbed it and started on his meal. So I guess so far so good Smile
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/27/2014, 11:37 pm

Don't forget to put a water dish for him. Maybe he's thirsty already
Back to top Go down
Nikky.Werr
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/28/2014, 12:12 am

Yeah, I put one out for him but I think he is a her. I was checking out a caresheet for rhopalurus on here and it shows the difference in tibia and tarsus between the male and female.

What do you think?

Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Dsc_4619
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty1/28/2014, 2:11 pm

Not really sure but the pedipalps look bulbous to me suggesting a male. If it stridulates then it may also be male as males usually stridulate more than a female would
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?   Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help me ID this scorpion, is it safe to keep as pet?
Page 1 of 1