The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. arizonensis Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
orion_rmw
Pandinus
orion_rmw

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

H. arizonensis Question Empty
PostSubject: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/4/2013, 9:03 pm

My Hadrurus arizonensis burrowed up for her "hibernation".
My question is when she may reappear in her enclosure?
I have read this is common behavior with this species. I've
only had her for a few months and want to make sure not to
make any glaring mistakes.
headbang
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/5/2013, 6:10 pm

Two years in a row, mine has reappeared in June. For the past month, she's been out in the open most of the time, even during the day. I assume she's trying to bulk up before going into diapause, or maybe not.
Back to top Go down
orion_rmw
Pandinus
orion_rmw

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/5/2013, 8:56 pm

Diapause; I could not remember the term but knew it wasn't hibernation.
I'm planning on putting together a better enclosure for her when she "wakes"
up. I read somewhere about someone using a gravel bottom with a water fill
tube to add small amounts of water to keep humidity up a little in the lower
portions of the substrate. Being a desert scorp, would this be necessary in your
opinion? Thanks.

Rick
headbang
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/12/2013, 8:35 am

It's only necessary if your H. arizonensis will need to molt or is gravid. H. arizonensis have a difficult time molting in captivity. In the wild, they dig deep tunnel networks to achieve the correct humidity necessary for a successful molt. It's very hard to duplicate these conditions in a glass tank. In fact, very little is known about the actual amount of humidity required. Not enough humidity and they die during molting. Too much humidity and they develop mycosis, a fungal infection that can lead to death.

Most of the keepers who have achieved successful molts with H. arizonensis have employed a false bottom setup with very deep substrate (12 to 16 inches). Others have used deep substrate and and added water to one side of the enclosure, allowing the water to seep down along the side of the tank and penetrate the lower portion of the substrate.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/12/2013, 12:15 pm

And what about a premolt arizonensis? Should one keep using heat in the enclosure to ensure it molts, or allow it to go through diapause?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty12/13/2013, 2:37 pm

Patcho wrote:
And what about a premolt arizonensis? Should one keep using heat in the enclosure to ensure it molts, or allow it to go through diapause?

If your scorpion is near a molt, I would continue heating the enclosure. I don't know if a scorpion will, or even can, delay a molt because of environmental changes. Some H. arizonensis don't undergo a diapause period, so it shouldn't harm it to keep it warm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H. arizonensis Question   H. arizonensis Question Empty

Back to top Go down

H. arizonensis Question
Page 1 of 1