The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc

Go down 
+5
NJE
Scorpion19981000
Patcho
~Abyss~
Gladiator
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gladiator
Pandinus
Gladiator

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-10-30

Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty
PostSubject: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 10:22 am

so the other day i was spot cleaning gladiator's tank after a big meal. I guess i made him a little grumpy, he raised his claws and tail in a defensive/threatening posture and MADE A HISSING SOUND!!Shocked 
I was totally weired out so i waved my hand in front of him, he did it again! he did it several more times that day. He has never done that before or since.

Also, I live in chatham county, nc, are there any good stores nearby that have emperors? there were none at repticon raleigh and i dont want to pay $40 shipping on a $15 scorpion online. Specifically i'm looking for a female.
Back to top Go down
http://crabforum.forumotion.com/
Gladiator
Pandinus
Gladiator

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 1:08 pm

Ok, after i made the previous post i went to put a fake plant i just bought in his tank. HE HISSED AT ME AGAIN!! This is kinda weird....
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 5:02 pm

Try to get some video. I think they can make an audible noise when scared but I think Ive only witness this with Heterometrus species not Pandinus
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Gladiator
Pandinus
Gladiator

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 5:12 pm

Ok, i should have one up sometime this week. Though it may be hard to hear as the sound isn't real loud.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 5:43 pm

Yes, they are capable of hissing. Mine do it whenever they're touched.
Back to top Go down
Gladiator
Pandinus
Gladiator

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/25/2013, 8:48 pm

I edited the video to bring up the hissing and bring down the background sound. I felt so bad scaring him just for the video. Then at the end when he started shaking it really scared me. I thought it wasn't normal for them to make any sound.

EDIT: At some point in the editing process the sound got out of sync with the video (man i hate wmm), so sometimes you will hear the hiss after he lunges.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty11/29/2013, 7:36 pm

Yeah, it's pretty normal for emps to stridulate (hiss). Mine's a pissy little thing and does it practically every time I take the lid off the tank. It's simply a defense mechanism to make the scorp appear more threatening to potential attackers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty2/19/2014, 1:42 am

ARE you kidding me!!?? lmao, Thats going to scare me if mine does that to me! lmao
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty2/19/2014, 5:23 am

NJE wrote:
ARE you kidding me!!?? lmao, Thats going to scare me if mine does that to me! lmao

Lol
Back to top Go down
NJE
Pandinus
NJE

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty2/19/2014, 2:37 pm

Since the two days iv had my scorpion, she has not hissed at me, and iv picked her up and all.
Back to top Go down
omgwtfbbq
Pandinus
omgwtfbbq

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty2/28/2014, 2:22 pm

I have two emps in one tank, and one night after i went to bed, I'm pretty sure i heard one of them hiss. Really strange. They live happily together in the same burrow, so I dont know why it hissed.
Back to top Go down
friendttyy
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty5/12/2014, 9:56 am

I am now scared of my emps...
Back to top Go down
leorin
Pandinus
leorin

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty7/5/2014, 7:48 pm

Didn't realise Emperors hissed, i thought it was one of the forest scorpions that hissed.

Could it be a different breed or do Emperors do that too? I never heard any of my previous ones hiss but I'd like to know in case my new ones hiss and I'd otherwise panic, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc   Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc Empty

Back to top Go down

Can Emperors Hiss? And finding emps in nc
Page 1 of 1