The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hex0mega74
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty
PostSubject: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/29/2013, 5:46 pm

Was away over last weekend, came back to discover one of my scorpions had died during the time I was gone.
It did not display any sick/lethargic behaviour beforehand - It was active and ate regularly long before its death.
The only thing I found unusual was that on the Friday I left I noticed my scorpion had started to stand in a somewhat 'unnatural' position - It started standing with its legs extended, its torso high off the substrate and crimping inwards slightly. It would walk in that same position.
I have never seen either of my scorps standing in that position, much less for hours on end...
When I returned that Sunday, the scorp was limp.

This evening I noticed the other scorpion sharing the enclosure with the now-dead one has started to stand in that same stance.
Could this be an indicator of discomfort or sickness?
Or is it normal, and I am being paranoid due to the death of my other scorp?

Other possibly relevant info:

- It is summer here, so the death was probably not cold related
- The humidity of the enclosure was always maintained between 60 - 85%
- Substrate is peat moss, 4 inches
- Moved the scorps to a new enclosure last Thursday, with new substrate. I ensured that no residue of detergent/chemicals remained inside the enclosure
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/29/2013, 7:05 pm

Stilting is a way for them to cool down...possibly to hot!
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Hex0mega74
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/30/2013, 1:14 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
Stilting is a way for them to cool down...possibly to hot!
Hm, I doubt it, we've been having rainy/overcast weather here for the past 2 weeks. Checked up on the scorp this morning and its still stilting. silent 

Thanks for the info though.
As I said, I might just be scared since I haven't discovered the cause of my other scorp's death.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/30/2013, 1:58 am

The only change has been the substrate, have a look there.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/30/2013, 9:42 am

Can you describe your heating arrangement and the ambient temperature in the room they are in? Also, carefully check out the FAQ section in the emperor section and make sure you are doing everything as described there.

Could the substrate be too wet or dry? When you grab a handful of it and squeeze it, just a little bit of water should come out.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty10/30/2013, 12:54 pm

Could also be gravid preparing for a brood. Stillting is normal but if your other emp died it might have something to do with enclosure. Describe it for us and post pics.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty2/8/2014, 10:32 pm

How's your emps doing? Are they still alive?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.   Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour. Empty

Back to top Go down

Discovered emp dead, other scorp in commune displaying similar pre-death behaviour.
Page 1 of 1