The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods

Go down 
+3
~Abyss~
ShredderEmp
Den
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty
PostSubject: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 10:16 am

Family, work, some good wind and a touch of carp fishing has kept me away for a while but after a flurry of scorp activity over the last few weeks due to some proper glorious weather heating my scorp room up to a few degrees well over ambient, i thought i'd throw up an update.
Well my Rhopalurus garridoi that dropped a brood a few months ago has just gone and dropped another. On top of that i discovered on my rounds this morning that my H.jayakari female has also dropped a brood. I was expecting it as she's been hugging the side with the heat mat attached getting some extra degrees this last week or so so there wasn't such a huge surprise there.
what did surprise me though was the discovery that my G. ankarana female had also dropped a brood and that surprise was totally unexpected as she's only been with the male for no more than 3 months i'd say.
Finally, i brought 5 R.junceus's a while ago at 2i but was a bit worried that there wouldn't be a male amongst them as R.junceus is renown for producing large female heavy broods.......Along the road to adulthood one fell by the way but those remaining 4 have now moulted to adult......3 females and one male Smile..  2 of the females have now been mated.

Here's a couple of pics of the jayakari and ankarana broods....

Hottentotta jayakari:
Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Hj_11_10

Grosphus ankarana:
Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Ga_11_10
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 10:21 am

Oh My Gosh. I would hand you 50 dollars right now but I'm pretty sure your not in the states. Sad
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 12:15 pm

Ahhh I hate you Den! Nice job with the broods. I'm still waiting on my G.ank pair to molt this last molt is taking FOREVER!!! They look like blimps and have been fasting for 3 months. I just offered them crickets yesterday and they both ate so I'm hoping this is their last meal before they molt but it's nice to know gestation is quick. Let me know what the conditions were it's pretty warm here too. I'm expecting my G.grandidieri to pop soon she went from a solid black to a grey now she's so streached out hopefully she gives me a good size brood.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 12:54 pm

Very nicely done, my friend! I can't believe the jayakari female didn't stress much while cohabiting with another while having her brood. I've always taken mine out a few weeks prior to the birthing. Jayakari have always appeared to be rather tolerant of one another, but this finding is really something that I've been wondering about for some time now. Judging by the size of the broods, it seems as if you've been keeping them in optimal conditions. Just an fyi, the brood size for the jayakari that I've experienced giving my conditions are between 20-25. Keep us posted on the count and any details you feel like sharing. Congrats on the broods yet again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 2:07 pm

@Abyss .. my own pair of ankarana's also made a long affair out of that final moult to adulthood although in both cases it was at the back end of a long dry period. I keep mine dry with a water bottle and a very occasional light misting in one corner...moults came after the water bottle had not been refilled for a couple of weeks. Temperature wise i keep mine in the high 20's with an occasional rise up to 30-32c. Night temps never drop below 23-24c.
About 3 weeks after my male moulted to adult, i placed him in with the female but after a couple of aborted attempts i removed him. It appeared as if the female wouldn't accept him. I waited a week and tried again. This time the male appeared more assertive but the female still shunned him. Over the course of 2 more weeks i tried 7 more times but the result was the same each time.
So i decided that perhaps they didn't like having an audience and fixed up the females enclosure with a few more hides...placing the male in with her on April 2nd....so, yeh, 3½ month gestation if they got it on as soon as they were left alone.
I've now removed him from the females enclosure.
I'll update the thread with instar times, conditions and mortality when they've grown on a bit.

@Envyizm .. I've never really attached humanistic interpretations in any serious way to invert behaviour although in the case of this pair of H.jayakari's i make a slight exception. These pair do actually seem genuinely fond of each other. Initially i had a partition wall down the middle of an enclosure with the male and female in each their side although time and time again i'd either find the male had squeezed through the thinnest of gaps to get in with the female or the female had actually moved the wall so she could slip through a gap and made her way over to the males side.....I'd always find them cohabiting the same hide in quite a cosy fashion. So i decided i'd let them live together and take the normal precaution of ensuring environmental factors were well in range and that available prey items are regular and consistent.
At night time i often find them wandering around together with one following the other and i've watched them share prey numerous times.
Having said all that though it was always my intention to remove the male as soon as she was with brood and today, he too was rehoused although, similar to my ankarana's male, he will be rehoused back with the female as soon as the young have left the mothers back and have been rehoused.
Conditions have been dry, water bottle filled only very occasionally, 30-35c down to 25c at night although this last couple of weeks the temps have been a few degrees higher across the board in my scorp room.
As above, i'll update the thread with pertinent info when the young have grown on a bit.

Incidentally as a bit of side info......Both my ankarana and jayakari enclosures are in a well shaded spots, neither of them receive any kind of direct light plus i use polystyrene sheets throughout my scorp room as a buffer to dampen any extraneous vibrations.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 2:18 pm

How much do you want for the Grosphus ankarana including shipping? Haha. Man am I jealous of you.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 3:55 pm

Congrats Den! Those are nice large broods as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/11/2013, 11:10 pm

Very nice Den! So happy for your success! Thanks for the detailed info...it really helps those of us that are hoping to breed these species!
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty7/15/2013, 7:19 pm

Congratulations on the success!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods   Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorp update .. G. ankarana + H. jayakari broods
Page 1 of 1