The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mangled Mama

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mama CharLee
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-05

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/5/2013, 9:33 pm

The lady on the left is Mama Gnarly, and the little guy to the right is Chubs. The pet store pretty much gave me Mama Gnarly, they didn't have much hope for her, considering how deformed her claws are. I've checked her mouth parts, and I think they're okay, but I haven't seen her actually use them yet.
If anyone has any idea on how I can treat her, or how to treat her should she go into molt soon, that would be greatly appreciated. She's a great Emp, and I think she still has a few miles left to run.
*EDIT* Both of her claws are completely non-functional, there are no moving parts and they seemed to have "melded" together.

Mangled Mama Dvuu
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/5/2013, 11:27 pm

judging by her dark telson, she looks like an adult, so molting would not be an issue.

she's made it this far, i see no reason that she shouldn't make it the rest of the way. as long as she's able to capture and consume prey, i wouldn't worry too much. somehow she's been getting fed or else i doubt she would be alive right now.

just keep a close eye Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mama CharLee
Pandinus

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/5/2013, 11:36 pm

Thanks! I wasn't sure how she needed her humidity, so I've got them together in a 20-gal terrarium, one half is bone-dry with walnut sand and a 2 caves while the other half is kept humid with the water dish and soggy(ish) peat moss over walnut sand and some other kind of bark substrate for tarantulas/reptiles. She's been all over the place - the deformities aren't impeding her ability to move around - but she made a cave-home over on the dry side, and Chubs is right next door. She's easily the biggest Emp I've owned (I've had 4 before her), while Chubs is the youngest. I'm hoping she lasts a long time, she's really a cool little critter. Smile
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/6/2013, 12:27 am

not sure how great walnut sand is for humidity. the majority of hobbyists use coconut fiber. it is fine to keep all of it moist since they are a tropical species. just don't make it wet to the point where you have puddles of water because even a tropical species will develop mycosis (fungal infection) as i've witnessed myself in past years. you don't have to use anything other than the coco fiber as substrate. keep the top about 3/4 of the way covered to maintain humidity. i usually use a sheet of glass. you can spray the enclosure every so often. i spray the whole thing when i notice the top layer of substrate getting dry. also, i have a red claw which i've never provided a water dish for and he/she is very healthy and happy. they will get the majority of their hydration from prey and from spraying.

there's no way to really tell how long she will live, sometimes scorps just die when you least expect it. typical signs of impending death are sluggish movements and laying their tail flat out on the ground but sometimes they do that to remove the fecies from themselves.

also, try not to have prey in the tank when they are about to molt because scorpions are extremely vulnerable without their armor. crickets are known to attack molting scorpions. your little one looks almost ready to molt or maybe it is just very well fed. emperors will almost always accept a cricket from a pair of tongs. that's my favorite part about owning them Smile

hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Mama CharLee
Pandinus

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/6/2013, 1:23 am

Thanks again! I just looked at the 3rd bag of substrate, and it's the coconut fiber. I'll get the walnut out tomorrow just to be on the safe side. And their "wet" side isn't saturated, (it's not much different than how I had my T. Blondi setup). I tried offering her a cricket earlier with tongs, and she tried whacking it away with her mangled claws and scurried backwards. I'll try again in a day or two, hopefully they'll be used to their enclosure by then. I gotta go get the 2 crickets out of there now, since I think "Chubs" might be close to molting (since his sides are so light).
I still need to sex Chubs. I was told Mama Gnarly was definitely a female, but I'm not sure about her baby.
Thanks for the advice! It's been a few years since I've had an Emp, and they're a lot like my T's - the easiest, coolest critters to keep.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/6/2013, 1:45 am

you can also try dropping a pre-killed cricket in front of her but if she doesn't eat it within 24 hours i'd remove it because you'll get little white mites pretty easily in humid enclosures. that's why i love my desert species. if you're scorp refuses food, don't worry, they can go months without eating.

as for sexing, here are a few images that may help you:
https://2img.net/h/i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/GSscorpions82/Misc/Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic2_.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Pandinus_Imperator_Emporer_Scorpion_Sexing_Pectens.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/huffnpuff_2006/SexingEmperorScorpions.jpg
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/7/2013, 11:31 am

as for assist-feeding, i use to cut a superworm's head off, making sure its body juices ooze out and slowly stick it to my sick H.longi's chelicerae til it starts the 'chewing-like action'
Back to top Go down
Mama CharLee
Pandinus

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/7/2013, 1:09 pm

Okay, scorpion enthusiasts...some guy on facebook told me she was just told that she was a heterometrus spinifer (NOT a Pandinus imperator). Supposedly, the guy that gave these scorps to the pet store claimed that the rest of the smaller ones in the enclosure are her babies...so, how can I tell the difference between an Emperor and a Malaysian Forest scorpion?? Is the pet store wrong or facebook guy? And if it's a heterometrus spinifer, is it much different than a P.Imp? Or if I have one of each (even though they seem to be getting along just fine), do I have to worry about what happens to Chubs when he gets bigger?? No 
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/7/2013, 9:58 pm

It's not a H. spinifer or a P. imperator.....what you have there is either a Heterometrus petersii or a Heterometrus laoticus. (I can't tell from the pic, you'd need close up shots of the carapace.)

They are very closely related species and care is the same, however you should separate the two as they are different species and the fact that she's maimed.

Emps have bumpy chela while most Heterometrus common in the hobby have smooth chela.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty7/8/2013, 11:37 am

Sucks about the claws looks like this was a bad molt and since they need they're claws to eat she might need to be fed manually. I'm pretty positive she'll take prekilled food
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

Mangled Mama Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mangled Mama   Mangled Mama Empty

Back to top Go down

Mangled Mama
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpion Emergencies!-
Jump to: