The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.

Go down 
+2
Mr. Mordax
liette
6 posters
AuthorMessage
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty
PostSubject: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 7:17 am

So my Jacksoni decided to molt last night and until now, almost 24 hours, its tail is still stuck to its exoskeleton. Whole body is out except for half of the tail and its right hind leg seems to be distorted. =/

Anyone encountered something like this? Now its like a piece of exoskeleton stuck at its tail. The remainder(not connected to its body) has broken off.

In case anybody is wondering, it\'s moving around as usual.

HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Dsc00611

Last edited by liette on 6/16/2008, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 8:25 am

Connie was having a similar problem with one of her emperors recently -- some people have tried gently tearing the exoskeleton pieces to remove them.

Are you sure it's STUCK stuck, and not just hanging out in it? Has the new exo hardened?
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 9:24 am

Yeah, I tore most of its exoskeleton now. The photo was taken before I tore the exo. Now there's only 1 small bit covering the telson which I failed to tear so yeah, I'm pretty positive its stuck. I doubt it has hardened, been only a day now.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 9:54 am

if you make the exo wet, just spray some water on it, it makes it alot easier to rip so you dont damege the scorp Very Happy
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 10:04 am

Okay, any opinions on why its tail is stuck? I'm afraid if I rip the exo, the tail might just come right off since its stuck and I don't know whats the reason of it.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 10:41 am

the reason is probably just bad luck, it happens
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 10:43 am

a mixture of baby oil and water should help. I wouldn't tear it away seeing as how the scopion current exo is much softer than the the molt.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 10:46 am

yeah would it be better to wait till it hardens and then resoften the cast? iv never done this, it just sounds like it could work in theory, i mean it is logical
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/16/2008, 3:24 pm

I didnt have long from death after we tired to pull off an exo that hadent come off the tail.
Death happened. We removed as much as we could but I think it didnt come off the anus, and i think that was what caused the death. Damaged legs, fair enough but if the animal cant poop forget it!

You can try the methods or just hope for the best. we tried and it died, you can try and it can live.
Either way nature is a pain!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 2:22 am

I plucked off the remaining bit of exoskeleton and the telson was underdeveloped. the stinger seemed like half its supposed size.

Any scientific reasons for such happenings?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 2:30 am

mutation. some scorps are just like that.
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 3:54 am

will he recover after the next molt or will he be this way for life?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 4:46 am

Not 100 percent sure In cases similar to this one some never regenerated and some did.
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 7:37 am

Thanks alot. Hopefully he'll be fine n not die on me. Had to get these from the Phillipines. My country isn't exactly resourceful when it comes to scorpions. Tarantulas, yeh, scorps, no.

Could humidity lead to an underdeveloped stinger and the bad leg(the leg was stuck to its exo too, had to yank in off or else it'd be dragging its exo for god knows how long)?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 12:11 pm

Could be that the humidity was low. You could offer it a vertical surface for it to clim when it molts.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty6/17/2008, 3:00 pm

i wouldnt worry about the leg. for three days one pandinus imperator baby was dragging a whole moult around!
It then came off. leg was damaged but ive never seen any baby in the tank with walking or moving problems.

I think its just a case of wait and see what happens.

sorry

xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.   HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton. Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP - B.Jacksoni molt, tail stuck in exoskeleton.
Page 1 of 1