The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...

Go down 
+5
cody1984
~Abyss~
Tongue Flicker
ShredderEmp
SilverTipped
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SilverTipped
Pandinus

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty
PostSubject: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/25/2013, 9:44 pm

I'm interested in parthenogenesis in scorpions and specifically the H. Hottentotta. I've read a lot about these and can't find any definitive facts about their breeding. Some say there are males and others say only females exist. Kelly Swift has some 2" HH for sale and even though they're WC, I'm interested but only if a female is likely.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/25/2013, 9:57 pm

I'm no expert, but I believe there are males, but the females are also parthenogenic. I hear males are very rare, and that some doubt they exist.

The genus Tityus also has species capable of parthenogenesis, with T. stigmurus being a very good looking scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 12:21 am

i have a HH that popped twice. apparently all the HH circulating in our market are all females only. dunno in other countries though. i'm planning to get a Liocheles australasiae next month once i'm back home Very Happy
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 12:54 am

there are a few partho species in the hobby. Yes males exist for hottentotta hottentotta but are rare and not available in the hobby. I second the T.stigmurus vote
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 1:24 am

@eddie: i think i've read an all male sp of tityus. how do they multiply? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SilverTipped
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 7:30 am

With WC isn't there still a possibility of getting males in the hobby. Kelly has a CB T stig babies. Hmmm I have thinking to do. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 10:56 am

There's a slight possibilty I suppose but still rare.
Nheil, any more info on that? like the species name ? As far as I know there is no such thing.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/26/2013, 11:50 pm

wait i'll try looking for it again. i may be mistaken though since i was browsing thru pages quickly.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/27/2013, 12:59 am

okay apparently i just misread the "all male brood" part in Tityus metuendus, i apologize Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cody1984
Centruroides
cody1984

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/29/2013, 10:10 pm

So there are really only two species in the pet trade that are readily available?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 7:04 am

Liocheles australasiae, Hottentotta hottentotta and Tityus stigmurus seem to be fairly common in the trade. Some of the other parthenogenetic Tityus spp. are in collections but are harder to find for sale. Ananteris coineaui is none existent in the hobby as far as I'm aware.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 8:13 am

The ones I know of:
Ananteris coineaui
Centruroides gracilis (Cuba)
Hottentotta hottentotta
Liocheles australasiae
Tityus columbianus
Tityus metuendus
Tityus serrulatus
Tityus stigmurus
Tityus trivittatus
Tityus uruguayensis
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 11:03 am

cody1984 wrote:
So there are really only two species in the pet trade that are readily available?
It's a rare trait, I don't expect there to be a lot of avaialbe. H.hottentotta and T.stigmurus are the most availble yes but every once in while you'll find others.
Back to top Go down
SilverTipped
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 11:19 am

Just thought I'd let you guys know you talked me into a T stigmurus. I'm just shopping around now for good dealers with good prices I'm willing to pay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 11:57 am

SilverTipped wrote:
Just thought I'd let you guys know you talked me into a T stigmurus. I'm just shopping around now for good dealers with good prices I'm willing to pay Very Happy

Happy days Very Happy

Be careful with them though, they have quite a potent venom.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 1:38 pm

So parthenogenetic species give birth to all females then?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 1:48 pm

Correct Smile
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 1:49 pm

yes they're basically clones of the mother.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 1:51 pm

I see. Tityus stig males are available in the hobby, correct?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 2:04 pm

No, not that I'm aware of. They're pretty rare even in their own habitat which is why the females evolved that parthenogenisi feature. Interesting evoultionary behavior not quite sure how it happens but I'm glad it does. We need some evolutionary biologist around here.
Back to top Go down
Kale
Hadogenes
Kale

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 5:17 pm

Here is a good read on parthogenesis:

http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_Congress/JoA_v27_n1/arac_27_01_0149.pdf
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 6:35 pm

SilverTipped wrote:

lol..

is the c.gracilis from cuba the only parthenogenic sp. locality? i hope there's a chance that some slipped to captivity haha
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty4/30/2013, 6:57 pm

Kale wrote:
Here is a good read on parthogenesis:

http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_Congress/JoA_v27_n1/arac_27_01_0149.pdf
Sweet THANKS!
Back to top Go down
SilverTipped
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty5/7/2013, 12:17 pm

I got my T stigmurus today and got a S mesaensis as a freebie. Thanks for the recommendation guys.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty5/7/2013, 12:48 pm

Wow awesome freebie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...   Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts... Empty

Back to top Go down

Interested in parthenogenetic scorpions and facts...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next