The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Babycurus Gigas questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Babycurus Gigas questions Empty
PostSubject: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 1:36 am

Hello to those with some knowledge on this species,

I haven't found anything on the forum that describes these guys temperament, whether they be defensive and skittish or aggressive and fast.

Would enjoy some help on any specific care for their habitat, or if they just fit into arboreal scorps category with relatively the same as the ASA caresheets.

Thanks much,

Aaron.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 2:33 am

I've kept B. Jacksoni in the past and the care for B. Gigas is similar. B. Gigas are slightly larger. They are considered a bark scorpion. I would keep these in a large plastic spice jar or ice tea container...the big gallon size ones. Cut most of the lid out and hot glue screen in for ventilation and maybe punch a couple of small holes lower on the container to create good air flow. Even a large Kritter Keeper stood on end. Height is more important than floor space. Coco fiber substrate is the best. About two inches deep and keep half of it damp and the other side dry. They do not burrow and prefer to hang out on cork bark at no less than 45 degree angles. I'd make sure it's about 8 inches long and 3 or so inches wide. They need it to molt properly. They spend a lot of their time sitting on it head down. Temps should be in the 75F to 85F range. YouTube has a few videos of them. Hope that helps. Let me know if you find any. I haven't seen them available with any of the online dealers lately, but they do show up from time to time.
Back to top Go down
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 12:01 pm

Wow, that's an awesome little write up!

Thanks much Bayss!

I have been debating on getting one as Tarantula Canada has some for sale. I would like to hear from someone who knows maybe what their temperament is though, and if they're communal (may get a pair), but can't ask for better on a care guide than what Bayss put in. I'll check out the youtubes as well.

Don't believe that Tarantula Canada can ship to states, but maybe contact another dealer or them to try and get something worked out.

Where did you get your Paruroctonus Boreus from? that's been on my wishlist for a while now.

After doing another google search, I found some european threads that I must've glazed over last night during my search. Temperament is reported to be a little less aggressive than B. jacksoni. And, found a post from arachnoboards stating they are communal. Guess I'll keep my info searches to day time when I'm not half asleep.

Thanks much. Aaron

Last edited by AaronCo2 on 4/11/2013, 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : More info, update post)
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 8:35 pm

From what I understand, they're like a super Babycurus jacksoni.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 9:46 pm

I got the P. Boreus from Ken the Bug Guy. He only had one...very cool species. I'm hoping to pick up some more this summer. Grab up those B. Gigas before I sneak across the border!
Back to top Go down
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 10:09 pm

Make sure you sign in and out when you "sneak" across the unguarded border! Laughing

Also I already placed my order. tongue
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 10:24 pm

I'm only 40 miles from the border! You are going to love them! Hope you got a couple for a breeding project. Keep them separated until they are adults to avoid cannibalism issues during molts.
Back to top Go down
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 10:26 pm

if they are babies, they will probably spend a lot of time hiding. My B. jacksoni does that.
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty4/11/2013, 11:03 pm

They tend to like it more moist and humid that jacksoni. I had a trio a while back, but I had one female mature an instar early, never to produce. The other female I had kept eating her young when she would give birth. I'm not saying you will have any trouble with them because they are easy to rear to adulthood, but make sure your conditions are good if you ever plan to breed them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty7/3/2016, 1:49 pm

So,

I haven't been on in a while, but now I have a couple of B. gigas. And just a couple days ago, unbeknownst to me; one of them popped. Looks like about 12-15 from what I can see. Trying to leave her be as much as possible. This is a first for me though, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I do know that when they molt to 2nd instar, I should be separating and giving individual containers. It's the in between that I don't know at all.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron.
Back to top Go down
AaronCo2
Hadogenes
AaronCo2

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty7/7/2016, 12:12 am

Well, enough time has passed that they are molting to 2i this evening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus Gigas questions   Babycurus Gigas questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Babycurus Gigas questions
Page 1 of 1