The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!


 
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 
 

 Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/10/2013, 3:41 pm

This species is so grumpy lol. High strung to say the least. I've had her for almost a year now. I believe she is 6i


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shakudo
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 870
Age : 32
Location : Tiel, The Netherlands.
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 1:53 pm

Wow...awesome pictures Keith, I love this species same as A Mauretanicus....
Very high on my wishlist. I like the black contrasting with the lighter color. I can understand why they are called bicolor.

Are they a bit active? ,my A. Australis wasn't very active at all. But remained hidden most of the time. I heard this species is grumpy but very feisty:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 6472
Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles Cali.
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:00 pm

I haven't fed mine in two weeks and turned up the heat and now she's the most active I've seen her get. But for the most part Androctonus aren't active.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 870
Age : 32
Location : Tiel, The Netherlands.
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:01 pm

Cool ! You got one too right? From Keith.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:12 pm

They are the worst tempered of all the Andros.

They are active at night, and you will never see them during the day. I find that this species burrows A LOT. They can make some serious tunnel systems that include multiple entrances.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shakudo
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 870
Age : 32
Location : Tiel, The Netherlands.
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:16 pm

Mako wrote:
They are the worst tempered of all the Andros.

They are active at night, and you will never see them during the day. I find that this species burrows A LOT. They can make some serious tunnel systems that include multiple entrances.


Worst tempered of all the andros... That's saying something...
Really? I thought they are opportunistic burrowers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:17 pm

Ive had 3 of them in the last year all of which burrowed as soon as they could.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 6472
Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles Cali.
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:34 pm

Yes Keith hooked it up.
@Keith I've never seen this species burrow do you have any pictures. I know they'll dig under rocks or debris but to tunnell? That would be interesting to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 2:41 pm

I'll make a new setup for my A. bicolor this weekend. I'll use packed sand and I'll make a video. You'll see. Its awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shakudo
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 870
Age : 32
Location : Tiel, The Netherlands.
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/11/2013, 4:23 pm

Mako wrote:
I'll make a new setup for my A. bicolor this weekend. I'll use packed sand and I'll make a video. You'll see. Its awesome.

Nice!!! That would be great:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
avatar

Number of posts : 833
Age : 21
Location : San Jose, California
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 6:57 am

Mako wrote:
I'll make a new setup for my A. bicolor this weekend. I'll use packed sand and I'll make a video. You'll see. Its awesome.

Can't wait to see that.

_________________
"If you can get a scorpion to eat 24 carrots I will buy you your next one."
-Jade Williamson

My collection:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Envyizm
Breeder
avatar

Number of posts : 238
Age : 32
Location : Columbus Ohio
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 1:06 pm

Mako wrote:
This species is so grumpy lol. High strung to say the least. I've had her for almost a year now. I believe she is 6i

I know a few, if not all bicolor imported are aeneas morph from recent imports. A good friend of mine made the discovery when we were both taking ptcs on around 20 specimens and the tooth count matched the range for aeneas. These were all members from the same brood, so it's pretty conclusive at least for these individuals. Basically, we had a few members who had ptcs ranging in the low 30's, which is consistent with the literary values for aeneas, but the typical morph's ptc stop at 29.

Also, aeneas tend to be more shiney and attain smaller size than typical, but this method in itself of describing a certain morph is not conclusive and shouldn't be considered without more evidence.

Reason for this little educational moment is that there is a good chance that your suspected 6i bicolor, might in fact be a 7 or 8i adult aeneas. Just figured I'd throw that out there for you to consider because I know for a fact that they were imported. I can't wait till mine get big, they're so squirrley. I'll pop some pics up on my picture thread today for the heck of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
~Abyss~
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 6472
Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles Cali.
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 1:13 pm

thans for that piece of informtion, I learned something today. What is the typical size difference between the morphs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Envyizm
Breeder
avatar

Number of posts : 238
Age : 32
Location : Columbus Ohio
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 1:14 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
thans for that piece of informtion, I learned something today. What is the typical size difference between the morphs?

I believe typical reach 8-9cm and aeneas can be in the (6ish-7cm range)-8cm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 1:37 pm

Envyizm wrote:
Mako wrote:
This species is so grumpy lol. High strung to say the least. I've had her for almost a year now. I believe she is 6i

I know a few, if not all bicolor imported are aeneas morph from recent imports. A good friend of mine made the discovery when we were both taking ptcs on around 20 specimens and the tooth count matched the range for aeneas. These were all members from the same brood, so it's pretty conclusive at least for these individuals. Basically, we had a few members who had ptcs ranging in the low 30's, which is consistent with the literary values for aeneas, but the typical morph's ptc stop at 29.

Also, aeneas tend to be more shiney and attain smaller size than typical, but this method in itself of describing a certain morph is not conclusive and shouldn't be considered without more evidence.

Reason for this little educational moment is that there is a good chance that your suspected 6i bicolor, might in fact be a 7 or 8i adult aeneas. Just figured I'd throw that out there for you to consider because I know for a fact that they were imported. I can't wait till mine get big, they're so squirrley. I'll pop some pics up on my picture thread today for the heck of it.

It wouldnt be a surprise if it was a 7-8i. It was imported. I could be completely wrong on the sex due to this new information. I assumed it was female due to the size. I'll post a pectine picture today to see what you think.

I have a dead specimen of a suspected longecarinatus morph that I will also post pictures of, I purchased them both from this guy who said he got them from the same batch of imports. This is something I am curious about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mako
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 233
Age : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/12/2013, 10:19 pm

It would not stop moving so I could not get a good picture. I will try again tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 6472
Age : 29
Location : Los Angeles Cali.
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   4/13/2013, 3:22 am

looks female based only on pectine shape.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor   

Back to top Go down
 
Just a fat grumpy A. bicolor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» my grumpy boy!
» A. Bicolor *Updated* 08/18/2011
» Opinion - Bicolor or More centuroides
» Someone's in a Grumpy Mood...
» Grumpy Old Git!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpion Pictures / Videos-
Jump to: