The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Synchronized molting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Synchronized molting?   4/5/2013, 10:49 am

Since I'm pretty new to the hobby, I was wondering how you guys deal with communal setups and the synchronization of molting, I mean; is there any way in which the scorpions of a communal setup around the same instar would molt roughly at the same rates? I assume that it's up to nature and the individual specimens.

Only thing I'm worried about is when I end up with a large and small specimen, would this not encourage the idea of cannibalism; regardless of the fact that they were once social on the same instar?

many thanks.

George
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Synchronized molting?   4/5/2013, 11:11 am

If given the same food, heating, and conditions most scorpions of the same batch molt within a week or two of one another. I guess it really depends on the individual scorpion I have 3 roughly the same age T.stigmurus and two of them have already supassed one by two molts and she doesn’t look to be molting soon. Just doesn’t eat as much as the other ones. Which is weird, considering they’re all basically clones of the same scorpion. So the best you can do is just assure they’re all being treated the same way if you want to keep molting times close to each other but.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
AaronCo2
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Synchronized molting?   4/5/2013, 2:28 pm

I have at least 1 of my 6 H. Spinifers 1-2 molts behind the rest. Meanwhile the other 5 are all pretty darn close in molting, within 2 weeks I'd say. Until I'd moved them to the newer enclosure, I figured I was down to 5, since that was the most I could see at once. When I first got them I figured I'd only have 4 of 6 make it to fully mature, but they do seem to at least give some care for the 1 runt, so maybe I'll end up with all 6.

What kind of species is it that you're concerned about? I think there are a few that are more cannibalistic than others, but someone else can chime in on that thought, whether I'm correct or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Synchronized molting?   4/5/2013, 2:54 pm

H. Myrsorensis & H. Laoticus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AaronCo2
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Synchronized molting?   4/5/2013, 9:50 pm

So same Genus, I should think that they'll behave the same. At worst, they'll fight over food like a few of mine do, more like a scuffle or game of keep away than a fight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synchronized molting?   

Back to top Go down

Synchronized molting?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1