The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)

Go down 
+2
Shakudo
Wattsy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty
PostSubject: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 3:25 pm

Not sure if this is posted in the correct forum but how much would you expect to pay in GBP for one of these specimens? I've found someone who's getting rid of one for £15 and to me it seems like a bit of a steal, the specimen from the advert is:
Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Dunek
Anyone with more information able to educate me, I appreciate being new to scorpions may mean I should give this one a miss however I'm interested to get the ball rolling should this be a good deal and I'm quick to research. Also what experiences have you guys had with this species with regards to molts etc?

Thanks,

George
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 4:48 pm

Look here

and here

I do not have experience with this species, but a few here have and can tell you more.
From what I have read they are relatively easy to care for, and I converted your price to euro's... for that price... definitely a steal.

I would purchase it for sure, a good species to begin with in the realm of desert scorps.

Last edited by Shakudo on 3/24/2013, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 5:34 pm

+1 shakudo
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 5:44 pm

Aren't these the same care for a H.Arizonensis, since they both inhabit the same area (Sonoran Desert/ Arizona, New Mexico, ect.)
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 6:00 pm

Yes, and no. Dune scorpions are surface dwellers they love sand dunes, hence the name. H.arizonensis like to burrow in flat desert areas where the sand is compacted.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info, managed to purchase.. add that to the list of scorpions delayed by weather and I'm expecting 5 soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 7:56 pm

So they like loose sand? (sand you don't need to mix with excavator clay)
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 7:59 pm

I was planning on recreating a "dune"-like setup with a red basking lamp near the top, perhaps a hill formed by rocks covered up by sand or something, I got a couple of weeks before it's gonna be even remotely appropriate weather for transit, so I guess I'll have plenty of time to play around. Need to figure out if I wan't a nicer enclosure for this one too
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 8:41 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Yes, and no. Dune scorpions are surface dwellers they love sand dunes, hence the name. H.arizonensis like to burrow in flat desert areas where the sand is compacted.

Patcho,

From what I have read, they can burrow, perhaps not the sort of spiraling system Haddy's make, but more of a straight down version:) As Eddy says, dunes are not a flat surface and mostly loose sand, so I reckon you could do with a minimum of clay additive. But I would still add some to be sure that if it wants to, it can burrow, it might just as easily use a hide to make a shallow burrow under.

Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 8:43 pm

Wattsy wrote:
I was planning on recreating a "dune"-like setup with a red basking lamp near the top, perhaps a hill formed by rocks covered up by sand or something, I got a couple of weeks before it's gonna be even remotely appropriate weather for transit, so I guess I'll have plenty of time to play around. Need to figure out if I wan't a nicer enclosure for this one too

Perhaps a bit of dried grass here and there, to decorate it a bit?
I think you give it a shot your creativity might help you make something nice looking!

Goodluck, and good choice on the purchase.
You have 5 scorpions coming in.... That will be a very busy day for you when they get at your place Smile
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 8:44 pm

I just needed clarification, cause I'm dumb like that tongue
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 8:47 pm

Patcho wrote:
I just needed clarification, cause I'm dumb like that tongue

You're not dumb, that's nonsense. It's a good thing to ask, and that's how we learn.
And we all want the best for our scorps so nothing wrong with that.

My creativity got me thinking, in my head I already decorated Wattsy's tank lol
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 8:51 pm

Feel free to inspire, eventually I plan on doing some terrarium-scaping to make true environments for them as it's what they really deserve, until then whilst I work on a budget I'll have to just go for what's most cost efficient, but feel free to watch this space as I plan on making something quite spectacular. I'll make it so it's possible to burrow but failing that I've toyed with the idea of building a sandy hill with a hide hidden amongst it to form a cave, but we'll see how things go.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty3/24/2013, 9:24 pm

ive had a dune scorpion for a while now

I paid between 10-14 for it I cant remember

it used to have compacted sand and it made nice burrow

but now hes in loose sand

they don't need a water dish

humidity will kill it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)   Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion) Empty

Back to top Go down

Smeringurus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)
Page 1 of 1