The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New Desert Scorp questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ThatAwesomePolak
Pandinus
ThatAwesomePolak

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-12-16

New Desert Scorp questions Empty
PostSubject: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/20/2013, 3:35 pm

Well I was thinking about getting a new desert scorp since my h arizonensis recently died of mycosis and Im wondering if anyone could suggest a good species thats a bit hotter than the h. arizonensis.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/20/2013, 3:48 pm

Because your only thirteen I’ll advise anyone here not recommend anything a ld50 and I also think you should have your parents consent if purchasing anything hot.
My recommendation if you want something a bit hotter without a risk is S.mesaensis.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Crab
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/21/2013, 10:06 am

Well i'd suggest Vaejovis spinigerus or Vaejovis confusus
Back to top Go down
ThatAwesomePolak
Pandinus
ThatAwesomePolak

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/22/2013, 5:54 pm

Can you give me a care sheet on the V. spinigerus or V. confusus and are those communal?
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/22/2013, 6:08 pm

These are apparently some of the most communal scorpions actually. Do a species name search up at the top of the page for care.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/22/2013, 6:12 pm

Read this. http://www.scorpion-forum.com/t256-v-spinigerus-community-attempt
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty3/22/2013, 9:45 pm

Centruroides and Vaejovis species tend to be the most communal of desert types. Patrick's link above does make a very valid point. Scorpions are communal until they decide not to be...as they saying goes.

There are so many factors that can effect this...the specific species, wild caught, captive bred, conditions of humidity in your home, humidity levels you can maintain in the enclosure, temps, how well feeding schedule is maintained, diversity/quality of feeders used, adults vs. sub-adults kept together, gravid females looking for a calorie boost, number of hides, experience of the keeper, disposition of the individual scorpion, alignment of the planets, etc. You get my point...weigh out that list!

Many keep communal set ups with various species. For example, Abyss had a communal Hadrurus colony that did well with the right conditions...I had a male/female pair that lasted about a day before they became one back when I started.

I would suggest that someone new to the hobby keep individual specimens successfully before trying a communal set up. Research as much as you can on both what works and what doesn't. After you have set up the right conditions it's possible...Just be prepared that you could have some cannibalism.

The bottom line is that both communal and individual set ups involve some risks. It's all part of what we do. Just do the research and decide how much you want to risk and if it's worth it to you. My first scorpion was an Emperor I kept on sand...what I didn't have was this forum then. Later I found this forum and I raised about 10 Babycurus Jacksoni from 3rd instar to adults for a colony. I lost them all within about a week before I even put them together. That was ridiculously frustrating and put me off keeping scorpions for 3 years.

Whatever you decide, do your best and learn all you can. At your age, you have years to contribute great things to this hobby. I wish you all the best and kudos for asking questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Desert Scorp questions   New Desert Scorp questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New Desert Scorp questions
Page 1 of 1