The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Substrate Question

Go down 
+4
Shakudo
Patcho
~Abyss~
ikissedafrog
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ikissedafrog
Pandinus
ikissedafrog

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-03-18

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 6:03 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here to the scorpion forums, just joined up because I'm starting to develop quite a fascination with scorpions! Right now, I just have a pair of Hoffmannius spinigerus (stripe-tail scorpions)...I kinda picked them up on a whim last year, and for being dinky little things, I actually like them quite a bit! I'm starting to think about picking up a second species sometime soon! Smile

Anyway, my question is about substrate for my current pair. Right now, they're on straight sand. They seem to be doing fine, they dig and climb on rocks and do normal scorpion things. I've just been wondering if there was something more suitable though....I've been thinking about mixing sand with something like coco fiber to make the substrate more 'fluffy' and stable for their digging. Or, is there some other mix you guys use or would recommend?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 6:08 pm

V. spinigerus does good in most types of environment. They don’t really like it bone-dry like but moisture will cause mycosis. Your idea of 50/50 sand/coco fiber is actually my recommendation. Maybe even occasionally drop a little bit of water in the coco to raise humidity or offer a bottle cap of water. Ohhh..and welcome to the forum!! You started with a great species.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 6:28 pm

Best of luck with you my friend! Post some pictures soon as everyone here loves seeing pictures. And welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
ikissedafrog
Pandinus
ikissedafrog

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 6:30 pm

Thanks Abyss and Patcho!

Been trying to figure out HOW to post pictures, lol.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 6:33 pm

In the panel above the typing box, you'll see a button that says Host an image. Choose your picture, host it, then copy and paste the link for forums in the box.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 7:31 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
ikissedafrog
Pandinus
ikissedafrog

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 7:40 pm

Ok, I think I may have this figured out now, lol.

Here are my pair, Mack and Molly...I question occasionally whether or not they are too chubby! Just how often and how much should they be eating? They are feeding well on Blatta lateralis nymphs.

Substrate Question 00913

And, hopefully you guys can shed a little light on this one...I haven't the slightest idea what on earth she is doing! I've never seen either take up this position before. She's lifted her rear end up on the glass so that she is 'sitting' on top of the heat mat...it was also odd because I was re-arranging things in here last night, all the room lights were on and I was moving about a lot, two things that normally keep these guys under cover. I accidentally spooked her once and she retreated under the rocks, but she returned to this position a few moments later.

Substrate Question 01311
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 7:47 pm

She is probably gravid and is getting heat for her babies. Does she also drink much?
Back to top Go down
ikissedafrog
Pandinus
ikissedafrog

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 7:59 pm

Really?!! That would be awesome if she were gravid, I'd be thrilled to see baby scorpions! Very Happy I'll have to start watching her much more closely...I can't say that I've ever actually seen either of them drink...but I always keep a small dish of water in there. I'm not in here all that often after lights go out, but often if I do pop in during the evening they are out wandering around...I keep this room closed off from the rest of the house to keep it nice and warm in here for the various inverts! I think I may be sneaking in here in the dark a little more often to see what they are up to!

Is there a way to confirm whether or not she may be gravid? If she is, does she need to be separated from her tank mate?
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 8:04 pm

Here you are, drink your fill of knowledge.

http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/t15-how-to-tell-if-your-scorpion-is-gravid
Back to top Go down
ikissedafrog
Pandinus
ikissedafrog

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 9:01 pm

Patcho, thank you so much for that link....fascinating! I can already tell I'll be spending a ridiculous amount of time reading through previous postings on this forum! I wish I had found this place a little sooner! I love you
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 9:16 pm

That was my same reaction. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/18/2013, 11:50 pm

welcome aboard!

i wanted a spinigerus myself but only males were available for sale so i didnt buy it anymore Very Happy

great scorps btw
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/19/2013, 4:30 am

exoticvirus wrote:

welcome aboard!

i wanted a spinigerus myself but only males were available for sale so i didnt buy it anymore Very Happy

great scorps btw

Why not ?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/19/2013, 8:47 am

Welcome! Awesome first choice of scorpions.
Back to top Go down
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/19/2013, 6:34 pm

WELCOME! Neat scorps too!
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/19/2013, 7:04 pm

well i kinda have a thing for female scorps. they tend be larger in size as well as fatten themselves quickly due to their superb appetite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2013-03-13

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty3/19/2013, 7:10 pm

exoticvirus wrote:
well i kinda have a thing for female scorps. they tend be larger in size as well as fatten themselves quickly due to their superb appetite Very Happy
I second that!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Substrate Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Substrate Question   Substrate Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Substrate Question
Page 1 of 1