The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*

Go down 
+3
electrophyste
~Abyss~
*Connie*
7 posters
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty
PostSubject: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/12/2008, 9:17 am

Ok. So im after the sex of my Pandinus Cavimanus. I open this new topic because im posting it in another post and not many people can be bothered to go back and check for gushing mummies to post more pictures of their buys hehehehe cyclops
So...to me, the size of the pectines look like a females. But the genital operculum looks like an oval! I have tired to look but its nothing really noticable! Also he/she doesnt really like keeping still.
Can confirm NO dent in the chela *see picture* but unsure if that is a prominant tooth?
Also, read that the males dont burrow and prefer to hide under...hides! I read that the females are the ones to make burrows.
Now, he/she has been BUSY! we had to dig "it" out of a tunnel of burrows yesterday to rehome into a nice big new tank!
And can I just say, im so glad we bought some new tongs! she/he grabbed them yesterday in a tantrum!
Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Sany0111

Last edited by *Connie* on 6/12/2008, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/12/2008, 10:45 am

Well thanks for the pic not being in PB....but sadly I'm pretty bad at sexing without pectines.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/12/2008, 10:58 am

I will wait a while, to let him/her settle before removing from tank again and into something so I can attempt pictures again.
Its pretty confusing because it looks like an oval but the "fans" are small like a female pandinus imperator.
xxx
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/12/2008, 11:00 am

I think it would probably me female. The G.O can be different shapes.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/12/2008, 11:06 am

I also note that the chela doesnt have a dent and she has been making burrows..which I mentioned before is what the females do more then the males (or so its been said online).
I hope she is a grrrl as I like the name Tabitha *pokes out tongue* yes I still name my scorpions! hehehehe

Now this COULD be a immature male but due to the size...more then likely an adult.

xxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/14/2008, 10:47 am

took some pictures yesterday.
Its all very confusing. Must be an adult as black telson and size.
No male features such as prominant tooth not dent in chela.
Will post up later for you guys to take a look
xxx
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/14/2008, 5:07 pm

ok so that whole thing about females only burrowing i think would be false. My male used to burrow ALOT, and i do think its a female
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/14/2008, 8:29 pm

you think mine is female?
What makes you think that?

I will post the pictures tomorrow when I have some time. ran out of time! blimey! 2:30! I should be asleep!
Back to top Go down
sliprep66
Babycurus
sliprep66

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/14/2008, 8:43 pm

for what i think i have noticed the female the tale comapred to the body is smaller then the male
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/15/2008, 2:26 am

eugh my digital camera is faulty I think! wont even connect to the computer when it has before!
I think its got issues!

Ok. not the best pictures in the world, not very clear at all! but all I have at the moment
Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Sany0210
Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Sany0211

I know it has blurr but if someone has a good computer maybe can save to their comp and have a look.

Last edited by *Connie* on 6/15/2008, 2:52 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added pics)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/15/2008, 2:38 pm

I see what you mean about the oval operculum with small pectines . . . but after Thaedion's help, I think we know for sure that it's a female, and I can see a hint of a point to the operculum. It's just fairly subtle.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/15/2008, 3:02 pm

if its there, its a very subtle point!

Thats why it was sooo confusing! on top looked female, undearneath female "bits" but one bit looking male!
very confusing!

Its a shame pics arent clearer! she didnt even move! was still the entire time, its just the camera!!

I will have to get a better digital camera.

Well im glad she is a female! I just gotta get me a male now for some mating!

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/15/2008, 4:51 pm

I photoshopped, enlarged and cropped the image. I agree with Mike, the point is going down. There is alot of artifacts that lend to the thought that the operculum is rounded, but if you take out the yellowish colour and look mainly at the dark operculum it is heart shaped, and the dark tip is the split and it is going towards the tail. Even if the operculum might in fact be rounded the other evidence outweighs the inconsistency, short teeth, short pectin length and wide span between pectin.

Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Sany0210
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/16/2008, 2:03 am

Gotta say female as well. THE G.O is really not the defining factor when it comes to Pandinus just a helper.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/16/2008, 8:36 am

*Connie* wrote:
I will have to get a better digital camera.

In low light conditions when you can't use a flash, even the best camera will take crappy pictures if it isn't absolutely still.

An alternative is to shine a bright flashlight on the subject -- you can change the angle to prevent glare, and spotlighting it fools the camera into thinking the light is bright enough to have a fast shutter speed (and thus prevent motion blur).
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty6/16/2008, 3:34 pm

AWWWWWWWW! Thaedion! thank you so much for taking the image and doing what you did!
So grateful!

Thank you for that! The only that was confusing me was the G.O and how oval it looked but the pectines looks female and GAH!

But thank you so much guys for your help!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty8/29/2008, 2:18 am

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm drunk, so I don't care. I had the SAME exact issues with my cavimanus, she has the chela of a female, but the G.O. more related to a male, it might just be the main difference between the red claw and regular emperors. For a long while I though Tenacious was an immature male, but now I'm sure she's either full grown or one instar from being a full grown female. I wonder if the ambiguous G.O. is a cavimanus trait?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty8/29/2008, 2:35 am

I have two that each seem to have a distinctive operculum -- one appears female, and one male. But they're both immature so I've yet to "put it to the test."
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty8/29/2008, 3:23 am

I would say wait for maturity.
Im getting a pandinus cavimanus male...
Ive seen the chela! clearly male...but will for sure check before he goes in with "Tabitha"

Ha...

I hope to do some breeding of my own!
Back to top Go down
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty8/29/2008, 10:55 pm

Awesome! I hope to get a mate for Tenacious, I just want to make sure she's an adult first, I think she might be... hmm... good luck with your breeding, lets hope they don't live up to their cannibalistic reputation (I hear if there's enough hides they should be fine, or keeping them separated).
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*   Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Empty9/2/2008, 8:37 pm

Here Connie, this is a male. (Notice the dents)

Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy* Barbra1

Sorry, it's PB. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273

Sexing Pandinus Cavimanus *not PB Images Eddy*
Page 1 of 1