The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

pandinus sp

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

pandinus sp Empty
PostSubject: pandinus sp   pandinus sp Empty2/20/2013, 1:53 am

ive been searching online trying to find any information on pandinus dictator and pandinus gambiensis im mainly trying to find anything on how to tell them apart from pandinus imperator but all i have found so far is this about a difference between imperator and dictator

PANDINUS DICTATOR has a total of 26 trichobothria on the pedipalp chela, Two of these are present on the internal surface of the chela at the base of the fixed finger;
Ventral surface surface of the tibia with 22 trichobothria.

PANDINUS IMPERATOR has more than 26 trichobothria on the pedipalp chela. Three of these are present on the internal surface of the chela at the base of the fixed finger, dispersed in a straight line and at an equal distance apart. Ventral surface of the tibia with more than 30 trichobothria

i can't seem to find any scientific paper's for gambiensis/dictator, have seen comment's on forum's that dictator has only been described once but can't find any info on this.

if any of you know anything or could post a link/point me to where i could find any paper's that would be a great help.

thank's chris

Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

pandinus sp Empty
PostSubject: Re: pandinus sp   pandinus sp Empty2/20/2013, 8:59 pm

I don't know where to get them, but did some searching for you and here are some papers...
Found this on another forum....

Belfield’s (1956) key reviewed traditional diagnostic differences in the pectinal tooth count and the surface ornamentation of the carapace, terga and pedipalp chela manus between P. dictator and the closely related P. imperator and P. gambiensis (as P. imperator gambiensis). Vachon (1974) presented a new key, wherein diagnostic differences in the numbers and relative positions of pedipalp trichobothria were demonstrated among the three species, transferred P. dictator to a new subgenus, Pandinopsis, and retained the other two species, which are evidently more closely related, in the subgenus Pandinus. Lourenço and Cloudsley-Thompson (1996) summarized the differences presented by Vachon (1974) and discussed the known distributional range of the three species.

Source

I read about the trichobothria and it seems that this is the most prominent way to differ them. It seems to be very hard to distinguish it from other Pandinus...
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

pandinus sp Empty
PostSubject: Re: pandinus sp   pandinus sp Empty2/21/2013, 12:49 am

thank's Shakudo i found that paper the other day but can't seem to find Belfield’s (1956) paper at the moment.

same here the most info i have found about telling them apart is from the number of trichobothria on the inner surface of the chelae.

i found a load of interesting scorpion paper's for download on this site but cant see belfield's(1956) paper on there

http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/pubs.htm

this is the full title of belfield's paper but can't find the actual paper online

BELFIELD, W. 1956. A preliminary check list of the West African scorpions and key for their identification. J. West Afr. Sci. Assoc. 2:41–47.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pandinus sp Empty
PostSubject: Re: pandinus sp   pandinus sp Empty

Back to top Go down

pandinus sp
Page 1 of 1