The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

New Heterometrus questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amaylum
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: New Heterometrus questions   2/10/2013, 3:49 pm

OK I got mine IDed as either a Heterometrus laoticus or a Heterometrus petersii, but they're leaning towards H. laoticus because didn't see any granulation on the carapace.

So temp should still be between 80-90? and humidity still 80-90%?
Also what do I feed it?

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/10/2013, 11:21 pm

Temp should optimally be around 85F, but they can tolerate lower and higher temperatures. Humidity should be 80-90% is possible, but don't worry about that too much. As long as the substrate is moist and the water dish is full, the humidity will be fine.

You can feed it crickets, roaches, and the occasional super-worm (AKA "King Mealworms") once every 10-15 days. Don't worry if it doesn't eat, they (especially males) will often fast for several months.

If you can get a clear shot of the pectines (the comb shaped organs underneath it's body) either myself or someone else will determine its gender for you. Here's a link that shows how to get a look at the pectines: http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8418-how-to-correctly-handle-a-scorpion Scroll down to "sexing your scorpion."

The following caresheet on H. longimanus applies to your scorp, with the exception on the anatomy of the species that is. (So, sexing your scorp via pectines is the same.) http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8256-asf-heterometrus-longimanus

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just dont let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
amaylum
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/11/2013, 12:38 am

OK thank you so much for getting back to me on that. I recently purchased a temp and humidity gauge while getting coco fiber for it. The humidity is staying around 70-85% so I think that will be fine. The temp is only around 70F (67F-73F). Should I purchase a heat lamp to get it higher around the suggested 85F? I'll get the picture of the pectines tomorrow and post them on here if you don't mind. Thanks for the link on best manner to do so, lots easier than how I was thinking of doing it.

So if it decides not to eat for a couple months, do I just keep feeding it every 2 weeks and remove the dead crickets if it doesn't eat them? Or will it act a certain way when it's getting hungry?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/11/2013, 9:24 pm

I recommend that you purchase either and infrared heat lamp or a heating pad (which should go on the side of the tank, not the bottom) to at least raise the temp to around 80-85F. They aren't too expensive.

Just offer food every 2 weeks until it accepts. If it doesn't eat the prey within a few days, simply try again in 10-14 days. If it sticks its pedipalps outside of its burrow, it's probably waiting for food.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just dont let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
amaylum
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/11/2013, 10:53 pm

Ok yes today I purchased a "night black heat" incandescent bulb to provide ambient heat. Also because the scorpion glows under black light so I liked the idea of that one. The temperature has raised to 80-85F, sits around 81F. But now the humidity has dropped to 35-40% sitting around 36%. Is that going to be a problem?

Ok I'll keep a schedule once he finally eats. Thank you again for all your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~Abyss~
Administrator

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/12/2013, 1:01 am

Black light to occasionally look at them isn't bad but long term exposure is harmful. Red light is recommended but I prefer heat pads and ceramic heating
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
shebeen
Tityus

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/12/2013, 12:48 pm

amaylum wrote:
But now the humidity has dropped to 35-40% sitting around 36%. Is that going to be a problem?
Coco-fiber holds moisture much better than the bark chips you're currently using, so once you replace your substrate, the humidity will improve. Also, moisture in the substrate is more important than moisture in the air. If the substrate is kept damp, there will be adequate moisture in the air. You can help retain moisture (and heat) by sealing the top of your enclosure, keeping 10%-20% of the area open for ventilation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/12/2013, 9:19 pm

A false bottom setup would also keep the humidity up. (Do a search of the forums if you don't know what that is.)

-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New Heterometrus questions   2/13/2013, 10:05 am

+1 on the false bottom.
Back to top Go down