The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Not sure about my emps

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rsvale112

Number of posts : 0
Registration date : 2012-12-14

Not sure about my emps Empty
PostSubject: Not sure about my emps   Not sure about my emps Empty1/28/2013, 1:31 am

Hey everyone, I'm new obviously... I have three Emperor scorps. All adults, I bought two together, probably had them almost a year now, and I bought another in November. They're in a 20g long with four hiding spots and two water dishes. I also have a heat lamp on them, inferred 50w light so it's normally in the high 70's - 80's. I mist the tank often but can't keep humidity at all... I've never seen them burrow or molt. But they eat twice a week two crickets at a time. And it's not often they refuse a meal but it's happened.

So here's my tank...
Not sure about my emps IMAG0321_zpsd4c3d649
Most of the time they're all under the skull together but they'll sit in the pots too.

This is Roman, I'm not sure if this was male or female, I guessed male, but I may be wrong on that. He's pretty cool though, out of the three he's the only one I've held, he's normally not aggressive.
Not sure about my emps IMAG0312_zpsff997843
Not sure about my emps IMAG0314_zps606fe8b1

This is Solome, she's not as chill as Roman, funny thing with her is I bought her with her stinger attached, and somewhere down the long I'm not sure when, but she doesn't have one any more... I've gotten odd looks when I've asked my reptile guys. So I'm not sure how that happened. I think she is a female, but again not sure.. And I've noticed she's gotten chubby recently.
Not sure about my emps IMAG0316_zpscca7d174
Not sure about my emps IMAG0317_zps39c77b38

This is Medusa, she's the newest addition, she fought with the other two when I first got her but I redid the tank then and ever since they're fine.
Not sure about my emps IMAG0308_zps6453da9e
So when I bought her, they were sure she was gravid and she came in to the store that way, she's gotten bigger since November.. So I wanted to confirm that.. Plus I have no clue what to do if and when she pops.

So my questions are basically sexing and if Medusa is gravid. And any other comments or idea's on my tank set up, keeping humidity, and all that.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about my emps   Not sure about my emps Empty1/28/2013, 2:08 am

put a sheet of plastic or plexi glass under your screen to reduce the air flow out the top. Don't put any under your lamp as it will melt.The first two by the color of the stingers are full grown and will not molt ever. That last one cold be gravid. I need to see the color of the stinger or you can just confirm it yourself. If it's white or yellow or milky then a molt will happen eventually. if it is the same color as the other ones then she is full grown and once female is confirmed... likely gravid.

In my opinion she looks prego to me.

Sorry for the edit I looked at the under pic and she is a she. And after getting really close I think I see a hint of red stinger too. I'm calling girl/gravid with a %99 guarantee. How long have you had her? Start counting the months as she won't be gravid in 18... or less if you can figure out when she was around boys.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about my emps   Not sure about my emps Empty1/30/2013, 9:39 am

Welcome to the forum. You haven't seen your Emps burrow because your substrate is not deep enough for them to burrow. Shocked An Emperor enclosure should have at least 6 inches of damp packed coco-fiber or peat as substrate. You can keep the substrate moist by pouring water on it once a week or setting up a false bottom. Humidity in the substrate is more important than humidity in the air; sealing up most of your top will help retain both.

Emperor burrow:
For your hides, break a couple of your flower pots into pieces and use the largest. Embed them in the substrate and make a shallow depression under each. Scorpions prefer tight cramped spaces over cavernous ones.

Emperor hide:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure about my emps   Not sure about my emps Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure about my emps
Page 1 of 1