The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.

Go down 
+3
Callum B
Bayss
Scorpiongirl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-12-16

Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty
PostSubject: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 3:26 am

What are the fastest growing/reproducing species of scorpion that is also communal?

I have a large tank that I really would like to use for a large colony of dry habitat scoprions that will grow and reproduce quickly.

I tried reading the "Desert Scorpion" thread replies but I got really lost
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 6:55 am

Try reading that thread again. Write down the names of some and then Google or YouTube to see them in action. My old wishlist favorite for the perfect dry communal enclosure was 1) Mesobuthus Martensii (Chinese Armored Scorpions), but I haven't seen any for sale in over a year. Not sure if there are import issues or why no dealers have them now...used to see them offered quite a bit a few years ago.

Now thanks to the Desert Scorpion thread I'm leaning toward 2) Centruroides Sculpturatus (Arizona Bark Scorpions) as they are orange and remind me of Babycurus Jacksoni, which I love. Or even some 3) Centruroides Margaritatus (Centruroides Bicolor) which look pretty awesome...a bit like the Androctonus Australis coloration, but these are communal and not as venomous. 4) Centruroides Vittatus (Striped Bark Scorpion) look interesting to me also for a communal tank.

I'm just starting to seriously research all the Centruroides species myself, but they seem to have a lot of pros, with few cons...lots of choices and even different morphs within the same species depending on if they prefer more or less moisture. Some are kept like most desert species on sand with rocks, all the way up to keeping them with more moisture on coco fiber and upright cork bark. They don't get much over two to three inches in size and can be one of the most communal of scorpions. Not sure how fast they mature or lifespan. Plus they are native to the US and are very affordable here if buying in bulk...lol. I think I saw somewhere the broods are around 8 to 10, but 2nd instar looked very small. Read different on their venom reports...some ranked as low as 2 out of 5...while I saw they are the deadliest US scorpion. Probably not a pet you want to pet.

Help us out all you Centruroides experts. What are your favorites? Some of you can probably collect these in the backyard. There are pest control/exterminator advertisements all over the south on YouTube. I'd rather like to save some...although based on my last attempt at a communal project, survival rate in my care may only be slightly better headb I need a hardy scorpion!
Back to top Go down
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 7:44 am

Lol duhhh I should have thought of that. It is vvvvery early in the morning, in my defense! haha! thanks! XD I will do that.

I'ma try to find that Mesobuthus species you mentioned. Otherwise I'ma look into Centruroides.

Other than emperors, there aren't really any communal "tropical" (aka moist habitat/forest type) scorpions, are there?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 9:31 am

Scorpiongirl wrote:

Other than emperors, there aren't really any communal "tropical" (aka moist habitat/forest type) scorpions, are there?

Many Heterometrus spp. can live communally.

People have had success maintaining groups of Liocheles spp. (have a look for the threads by LXDNG79)

Some Chaerilus spp. seem to do well in groups.

Bayss briefly touched on there being tropical/humid loving Centruroides spp. There are also other genera of ''bark scorpions'', some of which contain species that need humid conditions. Have a search for Tityus spp., Isometrus spp., Lychas spp.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 9:38 am

Babycurus Jacksoni and Uroctonus Mordax are fairly communal bark scorpions...some humidity, moderate temps, coco fiber substrate and vertical cork bark/wood hides for molting.

There are a number of Asian scorpions, similar emperors, that are communal tropical, or forest scorpions. I can't even take a stab at spelling these because I don't know them well enough. Somebody help me out here with some examples please.

Then there are the desert types...dry substrate of sand or coco fiber, rock or flat slate hides.

GS (if I have the username correct)has an excellent caresheet that breaks these three types down into categories...it's required reading. Most of the species kept in the hobby fall in or between those three categories.

Abyss, you know what I'm referring to? If I recall, I know Abyss did a bunch of excellent caresheets that I used also. Mr. Mordax, LadyRiotControl, Connie and several others that are probably still active on the forums have done a lot of the footwork. Search care sheet threads and you will find them. These "pioneering old school" forum members did a lot of compiling and made info accessible to people just getting into the hobby through intermediate and advanced hobbyists. I need to learn how to link threads...haha.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 9:41 am

Yep...what Callum said! He's one of those old school guys I was talking about. cheers
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 2:22 pm

If I was going to set up a large desert type I would go with H. Hottentotta. The added benefit that they are parthenogenetic. So you will always be seeing them produce babies and it will ensure your colony is large.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/27/2013, 4:44 pm

Hmmm.... I think I'll be looking into getting two or three H. Hottentotta. As long as there's a male and female the colony should shoot off the start. I am really interested in the Centruroides (sp?) as well, and will look into them.

Oh goodness, I didn't think Heterometrus would contain many to any communal species! That makes me excited, lol. I will have to do a little research on that
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 2:14 am

You will only find females. but they will knock themselves up once they are adult and so will all the baby girls they have. That $12 P word I used means they don't need males to become prego.

Once you get a colony going I will be super jealous of you. They are my next big scorpion purchase if I can find any in Canada.
Back to top Go down
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 3:28 am

O.o whaaaaa~??? (chris griffin voice) Does anyone know the reasoning behind that???

Well if I get a colony going before you get any, hit me up and i'll help yew out!! :3
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 11:51 am

There are a couple partho species in the hobby, and also some great reads if you google search. I have some, my T.stigmurus are partho and growing really fast. Usually they'll give birth 9-10 months after maturation.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 12:23 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
There are a couple partho species in the hobby, and also some great reads if you google search. I have some, my T.stigmurus are partho and growing really fast. Usually they'll give birth 9-10 months after maturation.

I agree with Abyss. As far as what is actually available your best bet is to either get Tityus stigmurus or Heterometrus sp. as these guys can often live in a mixed size tank with minimal (het) or no (stig) casualties. I've been keeping and producing stigmurus in large numbers for years as well as a good bit of other species and as far as desert species go, you're not going to find many if any that will thrive given the conditions you have suggested as most dry species will readily eat eachother at younger instars even if they're very social as adults aside from certain dryer climate species of Centruroides (the slight exception to consider but instars still cannibalize). If you want a species that has a near 0 chance of cannibalism even with a mixed instar communal, grows fast and produces like wild, your best bet is to take advantage of the biological process known as parthenogenesis and get some stigs.

@Abyss: I've had stigs produce as early as 3 months; it all depends on temps, food supply and water supply/relative humidity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 12:46 pm

Well I just increased the temps last night. I have them in a "hot box". It's a plastic tub inulated and heated with a few 5 gallon heat pads to distribute the heat evenly. In the tub I have both my enclosures for my T. stigs and H. judaicus. The H. judaicus stays at top with ventilation to keep the enclosure dry. The T. stigs are at the bottoms and covered in saran wrap to keep the humidty up. Activity has gone up for all the scorps. I do have one concern though. One of my T. stigs is very active but seems to be growing slower than the other two and not fattening up. It eats every two weeks or so, instead of 2-3 times a week like the other two. Anyways i'm getting off topic.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 1:16 pm

I'm happy to have blown your mind scorpiongirl. But I would take callum and abyss advice over mine on which species to get as they have infinitely more experience with them. I just was drawn to the idea of a desert species because I don't like mucking about with humidity. But I"m looking into (stigs) now too a bit.
Back to top Go down
Scorpiongirl
Centruroides
Scorpiongirl

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/28/2013, 5:21 pm

I will look into that species as well. Thanks every one.

Back to top Go down
Scorpeace
Babycurus
Scorpeace

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty1/29/2013, 10:13 pm

Centruroides nitidus Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.   Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fastest growing/reproducing scorpion species inquiry.
Page 1 of 1