The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Got my first Emp . Settling In

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davie101
Pandinus

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-12-14

PostSubject: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/23/2013, 9:25 pm

Just thought i would do an update . After alot of research of reading about and watching vids on keeping scorps i got my first Emp on Sunday there . I have a nice 10g tank for him, with deep substrate and two hides and obv a water dish .

I got him i think as a sub adult as his stinger is still a cream colour . I placed him in his tank Sunday afternoon and he kinda just walked about checking it out, for alot of sunday night i thought he may be unhappy as he was trying to climb the glass but i have heard that they do this sometimes when they go into a new enclosure . Late sunday night night i tried feeding him a cricket , if anything he seemed scared of it and was nt interested .
So i went to work Monday morning and could nt see him anywhere, Monday night again i was looking in both hides without disturbing or moving them, he had me puzzled till tuesday night i spotted him . He has made an absolute ingenious hide in his hide . The one i made for him was basically one of those bendable strips of woods that u can shape the way you prefer to have it . I had it near enough flat with it raised in the middle to fit an adult sized Emp with it cover in substrate, Well he has gone in and then burrowed closer to the flusher side creating a wee cave within the cave so the wood is right against his back . appears to go quite deep aswell .

Tried feeding him again this evening , placed a cricket inside, after about an hr of nothing i ushered the cricket into his cave , game over , he kinda sprinted up to beginning of his self made cave grabbed the wee guy and pulled him down deep into his cave . I can see halfway down it from the side of the tank . So in summary he appears to have settled in quite well , i ve read a hidden scorpion is generally a happy scorpion which i m hoping is the case as the Emp has nt really ventured out much .

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emperor5
Tityus

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/23/2013, 11:13 pm

thats great good luck with your new emp.....

i have 5 in a 10 gallon, 2 adults, 3 in pre-molt.

today i gave them new dirt..... and spent about 20 minutes with my adult male untill he pinched my pinkie finger.....

well tonight they will dig a new burrow and i probably wont see them again untill i give them new dirt again in 6 months.

i just leave the crickets in there untill they all disapear....

if i see any dead crickets i pick them out......15 crickets every 10 days is what ive been feeding them.

i had them in a bigger tank but they just didnt use the space, thats why they are in a 10 gallon.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Yames
Tityus

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 1:20 am

That's great. Glass climbing is just what scorpions do as they don't know what to make of it so they will try to climb it. It' not a real worry sign. Unless they do it all day though light hours. At night expect to see him trying to figure it out lots.

A feeder every 3 or 4 days should be fine for a juvenile emp. Just be careful at pre molt not to leave a cricket in there that could munch on him over night. He will get very fat and sausage like before a molt. I hand fed mine when I saw signs of a molt coming and it worked out very well. Even though I hand fed for 2 months before. They will refuse food and push it away when they are trying to molt.

All in all just enjoy having a scorp and know that you've done your homework and are doing everything right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
~Abyss~
Administrator

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 1:54 am

Congrats on your new scorpion. It's addicting so start saving your money
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 2:41 pm

Is it a bad idea to continue to chase the crickets into his hide ? Would i best to let him try and catch them himself ? If i do keep ushering them into his cave will he get dependent on me putting the crickets in his reach .

Scorps dont really chase do they ? They more wait for the unsuspecting critter to walk past them ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emperor5
Tityus

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 3:02 pm

i have always just left the crickets in there loose and the scorps catch them themselves.

emps dont "chase" crickets.... the sit there with there claws open wait and lunge at the cricket.

does yours burrow yet ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 7:00 pm

Well he has burrowed and made himself a hide underneath the hide i made for him . But he has nt burrowed anywhere else as far as i can see .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/24/2013, 11:19 pm

If you leave the cricket in the cage he will eventually wander into the emp. Congrats on your new scorp!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/25/2013, 3:16 pm

Ok i will try that tonight . He seemed alot more eager for the cricket last night , came near enough all the way out his hide, could see his pinsers protruding out the hide, Looked a right bad [buttocks] ha . Not seen him near his water dish mind u . I have the water dish located quite near the IR lamp so it gets kinda tepid warmish . Would that be putting him off the water ? Without re arranging the tank thats the only place the water dish fits really .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/26/2013, 4:12 pm

I don't think that would put him off. If he gets thirsty he will drink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davie101
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/26/2013, 5:14 pm

I ve now actually moved it , he seems pretty happy with his hide at the other side of the tank so the spare hide has been rearranged so the water dish has been moved .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   1/26/2013, 10:53 pm

emperor5 wrote:
i have 5 in a 10 gallon, 2 adults, 3 in pre-molt.

Fascinating! Would it be possible to keep all five in the same 10 gal enclosure if they were all adults? I currently have three in my 10 gal enclosure (I bought another one on wednesday and it's a male. They all get along and he's settled in just fine) and I think it would be cool to have more. Also, how many hides are your scorpions using? All three of mine live under the same one even though there are two in their.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got my first Emp . Settling In   

Back to top Go down

Got my first Emp . Settling In
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1