The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Stupid Spider Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Stupid Spider Question Empty
PostSubject: Stupid Spider Question   Stupid Spider Question Empty1/19/2013, 3:38 pm

I hear people talk about "true spiders" and tarantulas. I guess what is meant is that "true spiders" are spiders other than tarantulas. In the strict sense of the word though, are tarantulas not "true spiders?"
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Spider Question   Stupid Spider Question Empty1/20/2013, 2:19 am

Spiders referred to as ''True'' spiders are those that are members of the Suborder Araneomorphae. Tarantulas are members of the Suborder Mygalomorphae so they are not ''true'' spiders. The spiders of the family Pholcidae (cellar spiders/daddy longlegs) however are in the Suborder Araneomorphae so are ''true'' spiders. If you are thinking of harvestmen which are also commonly called daddy longlegs, they are not any kind of spider as they are in the order Opiliones ( although they are arachnids).

Edit- ''Members of the suborder Araneomorphae are distinguished by having fangs that oppose each other and cross in a pinching action, in contrast to the Mygalomorphae (tarantulas and their close kin), which have fangs that are nearly parallel in alignment.'' ''In Araneomorphae, the fangs slope towards each other, giving these spiders many more possibilities than Mygalomorphae, which can only bite top down.'' I cut that out of wikipedia since I thought they did a good job explaining.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Spider Question   Stupid Spider Question Empty1/22/2013, 2:38 pm

Thanks Yames that clear it up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Spider Question   Stupid Spider Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid Spider Question
Page 1 of 1