The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Over Feeding Question

Go down 
+2
Yames
Andrew Leigh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

Over Feeding Question Empty
PostSubject: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/11/2013, 5:14 pm

I have a Pt female about 85/90mm long. Last night she chomped 2 adult crickets and tonight another one. What I am reading on this thread is that they will pretty much eat what you give them leading to obesity. Is there any guide as to food intake that is a little more scientific than trial and error. Can one express the food intake as % of the scorpions body mass over a given period?

*EDITED BY ABYSS, SPLIT FROM
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t4489p30-overfeeding
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/12/2013, 12:15 am

1 feeder of any average feeder size per week is plenty. Unless they are sub adult then 2 feedings per week is acceptable.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/12/2013, 7:34 am

OK thanks, lets see how that goes. Thought 3 was excessive.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/13/2013, 9:50 pm

if they are not hungry they wont eat
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/15/2013, 12:32 am

It seems to me scorps vary widely as to how much they will eat. Some are robust eaters and will immediately eat just about anything you through their way, and some are shy, finiky eaters and only eat a small amount. Some will let you watch them and others will only eat in private.

I often simply place a few crickets in their cages in the evening (if I don't think they are about to molt) and remove any uneaten crickets the next day. They can choose to eat or not.

I feed adults once a week and small scorps twice a week.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/15/2013, 1:11 am

Well my Pt appears then to be a voracious feeder / greedy guts. Without me knowing my wife tossed in another cricket yesterday. The scorp made quick work of it, that makes 4 adult crickets in 4 days.

She has no qwalms in letting you watch her eat and takes her prey immediately.
Back to top Go down
vandalcore
Pandinus
vandalcore

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/15/2013, 4:24 am

How about mine I do feed my scorp every other day. Are my feeding routine correct? My scorp is 4i going 5i it's an AFS.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/15/2013, 4:37 pm

Probably 2 feeding per week would be fine for a 4i.
Back to top Go down
ian.baxter.5494
Pandinus
ian.baxter.5494

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty1/15/2013, 5:22 pm

If its eating them vandalcore I dont think you are over feeding it and use your judgement to see if it gets fat.

If mine eat everything I put in and it starts to happen on a daily bases I try to imitate nature a little and put it on short fasts ie; couple days to a week without food before adding any more.
Though I havent delt with a pregnant scorp yet and dont know if they feed up like other animals and (if I'm right?) they fast before a molt (again not delt with that yet, got a lot learn myself)

I kinda think they may get food in waves in the wild, like when a swarm of locus or hoppers pass they will have food in plentfull supply, yet after it passes they may struggle for a while. (this would also depend on the type of scorp and sources of food it has eg, an arisonensis would have less food sources than a AFS)

I usually feed mine 2 times a week a couple crickets a time unless theres still food in the tank.

I am fairly new to scorps but I have found with all the diff types of animals I have had, is the best thing to do is let them tell you what they want and just look for any kind of stress or discomfort.
I also think (which is something I am learning through this sight) is whether it is captive bred of wild and I didnt realise how many were actually wild.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExilesReturniing
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over Feeding Question   Over Feeding Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Over Feeding Question
Page 1 of 1