The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty
PostSubject: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty12/22/2012, 6:04 pm

Hi everyone,
Thinking of getting a Opistophthalmus wahlbergii and was wondering about the care for them. I cannot find any information on them that seems to be accurate and I would like to know the truth (since I always trust the experts on here). Thank you for any information that you can provide on these scorpions it is greatly appreciated!

Smile
Back to top Go down
VictorHernandez
Hadogenes
VictorHernandez

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty12/22/2012, 6:44 pm

Opistothalmus wahlbergii-
Their enclosure should be based on an arid-burrowing species.
6" of Sand and coco fiber or excavator clay.
This species burrows a lot.
It's pretty aggressive, and I hear the sting hurts a lot.
Temp should be around 85f, and low humidity, +/-65%. You can mist once in a while. You can also place a water bowl in there.
Enclosure can be a 10 gallon tank, or a big KK.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/captiveinvertebrates
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty12/23/2012, 5:10 am

Thank you so much for the great info! It is crazy hard to find good accurate information on these guys from research. Would you happen to know where these guys live naturally?

Would the substrate be half sand and half coco fiber?

Humidity wise since I heard these guys are from the kalahari could it be closer to 20 to 30% humidity?

Also do you think a 5 gallon enclosure would do fine? This is what I was thinkin id keep him in

Thank you so much its greatly appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty12/23/2012, 1:48 pm

I'm not an expert with these guys but I think they are indeed from southern Africa where it is dry. I believe they burrow down to where the humidity is higher.
Back to top Go down
VictorHernandez
Hadogenes
VictorHernandez

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2012-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty12/24/2012, 2:26 am

Opistophthalmus scorpions are found in south africa.
Half sand and half coco fiber seems to be correct.
Technically, they can be in that kind of lower humidity, but around 65 would be better, for no molting complications.
A 5 gallon could house a juvenile Fine, and even an adult, but an adult would do Better in a 10. 5 gallon Fine though. Just would be more difficult to heat one side only.
And you are welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/captiveinvertebrates
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care   Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care Empty

Back to top Go down

Opistophthalmus wahlbergii care
Page 1 of 1