The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

B. jacksoni Mycosis Death

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty
PostSubject: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty12/8/2012, 1:59 pm

I had a pair of (I think) 5 and 6 instar B. jacksonis living together. I have had them about 4 months. I was told they were from the same brood. The larger of the two just died. I think she was probably a female and about 6th instar. She measured about 58 mm. Upon examination she showed signs of mycosis in 4 of her book lungs and on one pectine tooth. She molted for me about 3 months ago.

When I received the pair they were in a tupper ware-type container with several holes poked around the top sides. The ventiation was definately limited. The substate was a mix of coco fiber, bark chps and gravel. I think the cage was kept fairly humid. I kept them in this enclosure until about a month ago when i put them in a medium size Critter Keeper with a 50/50 mix of sand and coco fiber as the substate. Also in the enclosure was a water bowl (with gravel) large enough that they could climb into. It was placed in a corner of the cage. I always kept the bowl full and routinely overflowed the bowl about once-a-week to moisten the subsrate on one side of the cage. They were kept (when I had them) in an invert room at about 80 degrees F. and a prevailing humidity of around 30 to 50%. (The humidity in their cage would have been higher, this was the room humidity).

I think the other scorp is probably a male and is around 5th instar. He is probably about 50 mm long. He has signs of mycosis on some of his pectine teeth and (I think) on the front of his carapace. His lungs look good.

I recaged him and put him on a mix of about 2/3 sand and 1/3 coco fiber. I used new cork bark as his hide.

I'm rethinking the care of this species. Gone is the large bowl of water, and in it's place, is a small bottle cap of water in the middle of his cage with a rock in it. I think I'm going to keep his substrate dry but keep his cap of water full. I will not overflow it. Hopefull he will be able to molt ok in this drier environment and rid the mycosis. Any comments would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty12/8/2012, 3:19 pm

Personally I would stay away from any standing water source for scorpions from 2i-5i. Even most of my 6i dont have a bottle cap only a light misting every week or so.
I think its a good plan to keep him hot and dry as not to advance the stage of the mycosis because if it got bad it might not dissapear after a molt.
The mycosis will definitely dissapear if its not too bad.
Hope he recovers Smile and sorry to hear about the female dying Sad
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty12/8/2012, 10:06 pm

Thanks shadowfoot. I'm thinking these guys need to be kept on the drier side than what one commonly reads about this species.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty12/9/2012, 3:41 am

I dont own any B.jacksonis but the fact that they do have mycosis is a sign that they should be kept drier. The best care sheet is the one that works best for you and the scorpion.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty12/9/2012, 10:43 am

I've only had this pair of them but it does seem that I hear about mycosis with them.
Back to top Go down
frédérick
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty2/7/2013, 12:32 am

This is very unfortunate for you Sad

I keep and breed many of these and never had an issue with mycosis so far, even when kept in high humidity (keeping my fingers crossed here!). In fact they all are kept fairly humid with a drier side at one end of the enclosure.

perhaps yours originated from a much drier area of the overall distribution of the species? some scorpion species have xeric and mesic morphs which may have different needs in terms of humidity, maybe that was the case here.

sorry for your loss!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B. jacksoni Mycosis Death   B. jacksoni Mycosis Death Empty

Back to top Go down

B. jacksoni Mycosis Death
Page 1 of 1