The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Would this self hold this vivarium?

Go down 
+2
Yames
kido
6 posters

Yes
Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_lcap20%Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
No
Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_lcap40%Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Maybe
Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_lcap40%Would this self hold this vivarium? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
kido
Pandinus
kido

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-11-13

Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty
PostSubject: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/28/2012, 1:49 pm

I dont know, right now its working, but for how long is a mystery Chin Scratch so its a 27L vivarium and i know nothing about the self haha here is a picture Would this self hold this vivarium? IMG_20121128_180142
What do you think guy? Yes/No? Why?
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/28/2012, 4:55 pm

I think you should find the shelf wherever you bought and find out how much weight it will safely hold. Then weigh your enclosure and decide for yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/28/2012, 6:07 pm

The question is , are the brackets screwed into studs or not.
Back to top Go down
kido
Pandinus
kido

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/29/2012, 12:02 pm

i bought it long time ago and i dont remember where XD but forget im going to put it on the desk, i dont want any risk hahaha
Back to top Go down
this.super
Pandinus

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/29/2012, 3:12 pm

Ludedor24 wrote:
The question is , are the brackets screwed into studs or not.

This is important for the capacity of the shelf as well as the type of screws used to secure it to the studs.

I would try taking the total working weight (substrate and other decor included) of the vivarium and add 50%. Take that total weight and use something that weighs as much (a weight plate or lots of books) and set it on the shelf for a while. If it holds for a week or so without signs of stress (cracks or warpage), then I would say it's safe to hold the vivarium long term. It would not be too good for that thing to crash on the ground and have scorps running around! affraid

I would also recommend removing other item from the shelf as well to cut down on the total weight on the shelf like those extra books there.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/29/2012, 11:01 pm

I would only trust it if the brackets were screwed into a stud. I had a ceiling fan fall on my bed once - during the day when I was away. It stayed up for a year and then bam! I'm glad it didn't fall at night!
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/30/2012, 7:50 am

that shelf would probably hold if you remove the books. I'm pretty sure the total weight of all the books there is either equal or more than the weight of that enclosure Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kido
Pandinus
kido

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty11/30/2012, 11:13 am

the books are like 20% of the weight
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would this self hold this vivarium?   Would this self hold this vivarium? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1