The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus imperator question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-11-13

Pandinus imperator question Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/14/2012, 12:11 pm

hi there..i just bought a pair of adult p.imp..which i think both are WC..now im having some problem with the female..she's a bit aggressive towards the other so i didnt put them together in one enclo..any advice please on how to successfully breed them?

i was thinking that since they're WC that the female could be gravid but as per the supplier, they had them for almost 6months now, and i still cant see any signs she is gravid..

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/15/2012, 10:13 am

new female or male? they are of the same size and from my assumption both are in their last stage..so you think the female is hopeless for breeding now? X(
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/15/2012, 11:50 am

The gestation period for P. imperator is typically between 9 and 12 months. It's possible that your female is already gravid and that's why she's aggressive towards the male. It's often harder with forest scorpions to tell if they're gravid and I'm not sure at what gestation stage P. imps start to fatten up, perhaps someone who has bred them will weigh in. You should also read the [How To] Tell if your Scorpion is Gravid thread.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 10:11 am

yeah +1 the only time i have seen aggresive emps is when they are gravid or for a few seconds when first put together, they are normally quite placid Smile

unlike P.cavs! they have anger managment issues
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 10:48 am

hi shebeen and bex..my gratitude for both your inputs..i guess imma hold on to them a little bit longer then..i always try to acquire a pair of every specie that caught my interests but if they can't be bred, i dont think i would want to keep them for long..but then again both of you restored my hope for my emperors..will keep you posted on any progress..will also try to get a photo of those nagging female..
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:08 am

emps have got to be one of the easiest forest species to breed due to there good temperament, do you still have them together? if not i would put them together again and see how the react, if the female is being an issue again i would deffo say she is already gravid, get some pics up Smile
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:13 am

last 2 weekends ive been trying to get them together but still the female is very resistive..the male is clamping her chelae though..but she doing the sting thing (not sure if it has an effect but still i try to separate them when its getting a bit rough)..after those actions, i return the male back to his own enclo..tomorrow morning iL try to bring them together again, if still the same attitude, imma do some photoshoot of the female for your viewing pleasure..XD
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:20 am

well i let the male stay longer in her enclo..he roam around after i separate him from the rampaging female but when their eyes meet again, same thing happen..im not sure if she's gravid or not because she's not even bulgy at all (or not yet?) i will deff put up pics to maybe you guys who are more experience in handling them judge..
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:45 am

here is the female..so thin X(

Pandinus imperator question Img_0816

Pandinus imperator question Img_0817
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:55 am

whats the size difference are you sure they are both adults? stinging is part of mating so dont be put off by that, i would leave them together Smile mating can look like they are fighting , she doesnt appear to be gravid put them back together as long as there is enough hides for both +1 you will be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 12:04 pm

i will try to record a video tomorrow as i put them back together hopefully we can determine if what i think is right or wrong XD..i appreciate all your assistance..
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 7:24 pm

From your photos, your substrate appears very shallow and dry. Emperors are obligate burrowers and should have at least 4 to 6 inches of moist packed substrate capable of supporting a burrow (ground coco fiber or peat). Also, scorpions prefer tight cramped spaces, rather than large cavernous spaces so a coconut shell sitting on the substrate doesn't make an ideal hide; it's better than nothing, however.

I would recommend adding (much) more substrate to your enclosure. For hides, cut your coconut shell in half and bury each half in the substrate at a shallow angle. Then, scrape out a small depression under each hide with your finger. Your scorpions will usually chose the depressions under your hides to start a burrow. Of course, there's always a chance they'll chose to dig under your water bowl or flat rock instead Very Happy .

Below is a hide in my Emps' enclosure that's she's started a borrow under, to give you an idea of what I mean.

Pandinus imperator question 07052012
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 7:31 pm

thanks richard..im doing some renovations today after seeing some beautiful setups.. esp the one below..

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5104-pandinus-imperator-communal-enclosure-with-a-pool?highlight=enclosure
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 7:41 pm

Glad to hear it. LXDNG79 has some awesome setups. I hope to redo my Emp enclosure some time soon as well. It's been 18 months since I set it up so it's probably time for an overhaul.
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/16/2012, 11:55 pm

just finished my experiment, how's this for starter?

Pandinus imperator question Img_0910

Pandinus imperator question Img_0911
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 5:26 am

Oh yeah that second pic didn't load on my phone yesterday, you deffo need a good 4 to 6 inches in depth to have happy scorpions
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 11:50 am

Very nice; version 2 is a vast improvement. Is the pool in the corner just a depression into the false bottom?
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 12:23 pm

yes i just left an open patch their from the false bottom..since they love water so much, there they can swim all they want once i raise the water level..XD
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 12:31 pm

Awesome much better loving the corner pool Smile
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 12:34 pm

thank shebeen and bex for your appreciation..later i will make a miniature version for my Chaerilus Celebensis community..gonna need a smaller tank first XD
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/17/2012, 12:52 pm

Your pool may fill up with substrate over time so you might want to consider adding a liner. The bottom of a deli container or 2 liter soda bottle with holes around the side would probably do the trick.

Edit: for something more naturalistic, you could use the plastic rock looking dishes they sell at your LPS. Just drill a few holes in the bottom and place it in the gravel.
Back to top Go down
AntonLaVey
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty11/18/2012, 7:27 am

thanks for that input shebeen..i used a green soda bottom, heated the trimmed portion in order to bend outwards, covering the sharp edges and with the green coloration of the bottle, it looks almost natural with some pebbles and moss around XD

EDIT: i made a new one and i applied what i mentioned above on the new..XD im observing this 1st tank how long the clearer water will last..inhabitant is always on the hide anyway..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus imperator question   Pandinus imperator question Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus imperator question
Page 1 of 1