The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?

Go down 
+2
Yames
Le_Nonsense
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Le_Nonsense
Pandinus
Le_Nonsense

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-10-30

K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty
PostSubject: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/5/2012, 7:30 pm

Due to being relatively new to scorpions (I do research however), I am torn between these two species as a starter.
Being completely uncomfortable with free-handling scorpions, I always move them by means of coaxing them into a shift tub/tube/box, therefore it is unlikely I will bareskin handle them (even with confidence)

As I've read, Karasbergia reach a max size of 23mm but are regarded as quite venomous, however, I read further that the stinger is unlikely to penetrate human skin (I won't try test this theory). I love the size of these little ones

HOWEVER

It seems that Opisthacanthus capensis is a good starter, and I quite fancy the jet-black and bulkiness of the species, but I'm looking for something a little more exciting perhaps?

It's not go big or go home for me; more baby leaps.
Your advice is appreciated

Dom
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/5/2012, 8:33 pm

If you're looking for opinions and don't mind some criticism... I'd pick neither. If I have to choose between 1 tiny and cool scorpion I'd never see and 1 forest scorpion that will burrow and I'd never see I choose some other large desert species.

A fine active and amazing looking choice is Hadrurus Arizonensis.

But if you're making me choose one of those two options... I guess the little one, Karasbergia methueni because it seems to be more mysterious and you could make more of a project out of trying to breed it.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 4:25 am

Well, if it's native species you're after, O. capensis seems like a good choice. Lets see if Shadowfoot pops in, he can give you a better suggestion on SA scorpions.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 5:56 am

If you can find Karasbergia anywhere they wouldn't be a bad starter but feeder small enough is always a problem. I myself like some smaller species as they take up a lot less space.
O.capensis isn't a bad starter either as they are very easy to care for but males do go on fasts and won't eat for a few weeks to months. If you don't mind that, I would recommend them.
You can also try and get a hold of Pseudolychas species, they grow to about 50mm max and they aren't medically important. Another option is Opistophthalmus species, they grow large depending on the specific species but they burrow and you won't get to see them often.
H. arizonensis which Yames mentioned is not available in SA as the scorpion hobby is still too small so the only large desert species you will find is Parabuthus and they aren't for beginners.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 8:07 am

Karasbergia methueni. I've never even heard of the genus, nevermind the species!!
Do you have any pictures of them?

As shadowfoot has said, Opisthacanthus spp. are very easy to care for so make good starter scorpions. One thing they do suffer badly from though is ''pet rock syndrome'' Laughing . They really are very inactive, well the species I have are anyway, and will fast for long periods of time, they're also very slow growing. If you don't mind this, I highly recommend this genus, if you want a scorpion that does backflips and handstands (bit of an exaggeration....) pick a different genus, or for that matter a different family.

Personally, as you say you are fairly new to scorpions I'd go for a species that is quite widely kept. This way, if you have any problems etc., you will more than likely find someone on here who has had experience with the species and so can offer their advice, or there will be information available somewhere on the internet about the scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 8:48 am

Oooo, another thing. What is the snake that is in your avatar pic??
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 9:07 am

@ Callum, google images shows all.
Thr snake is Crotaphopeltis hotamboeia (Red Lip/Herald Snake.)
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 9:19 am

Ah found it. I was spelling the species name wrong Embarassed

They're a cute little scorpion.

You ZAFs have got some really nice snakes that are never seen in the hobby up here.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 5:43 pm

Callum B wrote:
You ZAFs have got some really nice snakes that are never seen in the hobby up here.
Some of our nicest snakes mostly eat frogs, toads and geckos so they are a hassle to feed.
Look up a snake called Telescopus beetzi. One of the best looking snakes out there but the hatchlings are tiny and must be force fed pinkies so most are WC specimens.
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 6:10 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with some adult O.capensis. I can't say the same about 2i scorpionlings, I've got some that I'm trying to raise and getting these little buggers to eat is a bit of a hassle.

I'm sure you will find something ideal for you.
Back to top Go down
Le_Nonsense
Pandinus
Le_Nonsense

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty11/6/2012, 6:26 pm

It seems Karasbergia is a pain to get hold of so it seems I will start on some Opisthacanthus.
Thanks for all of the advice and opinions- I'll keep them in mind

Dom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?   K. methueni or O. capensis as a first? Empty

Back to top Go down

K. methueni or O. capensis as a first?
Page 1 of 1