The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AFS_mark
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/25/2012, 4:51 pm

Generally what he looks like:

[img][/img]

In the middle of the night starting great yoga:

[img][/img]

continuing great yoga:

comfy cosy eating a meal worm after a hard day:

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yames
Tityus

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/25/2012, 6:55 pm

Nice scorp. I like the goddess in the background. It's funny none of my guys take meal worms. It's like they don't know what to do with after being fed crickets all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
KLN1988
Centruroides

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/26/2012, 6:27 am

He looks great! Smile
But its seems very dry in there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shebeen
Tityus

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/26/2012, 8:20 am

Nice looking scorp. Regarding your enclosure, I would remove the wood chips, add 4 or more inches of substrate and bury the hides. I would also add enough water to get the substrate damp but not soaking wet.

Welcome to the Forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AFS_mark
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/26/2012, 8:54 am

Thanks guys,

Those suggestions are exactly what i was looking for. He is my first scorpion and although I read a good deal online before I got him, I still....dont know....

I wasnt at all sure he would eat the meal worms, and what i read about them is right, they do almost instantly burrow down...and...suprise...they come back as black beetles after have being in the substrate for a while...but he does eat them, yum...I do mostly feed him crickets though

The enclosure is a 30X12X12 screen top terrarium, I wanted to give him space. I know it looks dry but I have a fogger on and the sensor keeps the humidity level up to right about 70% humidity.

Ive had him in there for a little over 3 months now, and I am wanting to change the substrate anyway, so great suggestion Shebeen, i was wondering about the depth of substrate, the chips are orchid chips, and almost everything I read online said to include them. Why are you saying not to?

thanks,

mark

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yames
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/26/2012, 12:07 pm

You could turn your fogger up to %80 to be closer to ideal.

And it's the same story with your substrate. People on here have done a great deal of research into what substrate will be ideal and it seems everyone likes coco fiber mixed with earth to allow for it to hold the right humidity and to hold burrows when your guys start digging. Although coarse wood like fiber will hold moisture and be ok for forest scorpions they do prefer to be able to burrow underground.

I"m personally using coco husk material and my guys can't really make burrows in it but I've provided cork hides halfway buried. I like this set up as I get to see them more and can clean up poop and cricket parts by just lifting the hides. I don't need to go excavating. I also don't have mites period. So although I'm not provide a %100 accurate environment I'm very happy with the ease of cleaning and viewing.

Everyone will have suggestions for you here but so long as you keep your guy in the 75-80 F and 70-90 % humidity, he's eating and pooping and hiding from the light. You are fine.

And to risk a flame war and trolling... these guys may be the love of my life but in the end they are just bugs with fairly simple needs.
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/29/2012, 9:32 am

ok great Yames, I can definatly turn up the humidity, think thats a great suggestion. I also think the floor may be a little dry, and just because the air humidity is 70%, i think maybe spraying the floor some would help. Do you think the orchid bark chips are ok, will the hold mostiure. I just bought a huge sack of Organic potting soil, called 109 Organic or something, its what Im using right now. Do you think it would be ok, or should I take it back and trade for some coco fiber?
Cleaning is the other thing Im stressing over. Im just not real comfortable with putting my hand in there with him yet. I bought a mini terrarium to get him in but Im still not sure how to go about doing it safetly. Glad I got this guy, from what Ive heard AFS sting is not too bad. I have this long handle back scratcher and Im planning on scooting him into the mini terrarum, no joke, Im hoping this will work. I know Ill have him crawling all over me, (and my significant other) soon, but for now I somewhat standoffish. Any suggestions on handling?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kfc223
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/29/2012, 10:09 am

For removing anything from the cage you could just get some of these feeding tongs/tweezers www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=12203&id=SZMTA21. I use it to place feeders in the enclosure or remove anything. You should be able to find it at any petshop.

And here is a How to on the correct handling of scorpions.

www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8418-how-to-correctly-handle-a-scorpion

I hope the info helped

Last edited by kfc223 on 10/29/2012, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yames
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   10/29/2012, 12:20 pm

A mixture of that soil you got and coco fiber is good. I would look for ways to make sure your soil isn't contaminated with bugs before adding your scorpion to it. I think people around here microwave it for a while first? I've never used it or done that so I'm not sure of the procedure.

I can't handle any of my guys. Even my emps are WAY to pinchy and territorial for me to hand scoop them. And I don't want to pick things up by the tail with tongs as it's like picking a person up by his lower intestine. It just seems like a recipe for hurting your scorp. The method of ushering them into a smaller container then lidding it is by far my favorite method. Then the toweling and looking at the underside for sexing and pictures was just plain brilliant. I use that method even with my "HOT" species.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion   

Back to top Go down

Pictures of Thorn, the Asian Forest Scorpion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1