The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??

Go down 
+4
shadowfoot
DolbyR
**GS**
Callum B
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/9/2012, 11:46 am

That's an English scorpion collection if I ever saw one haha.

Well, at least the DWA act gives us something to moan about aye....

Smeringus mesaensis are such awesome looking scorpions. I wish mine made an appearance a bit more.

Haven't you got a suspected gravid female S. mesaensis, Jay? Did it ever amount to anything?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/9/2012, 12:18 pm

Yep its definitely a typical English scorpion list there. Luckily I have a few other more obscure things to keep my sanity! Very Happy

Well I was sure one of my girls is gravid but she still looks the same lol things are really slow with S. Mesaensis I have found. I have one that's been in premolt for about 6 months, it's going to explode any day now! The one in premolt I have raised from 3i, it's took an age to get it to 5i.

Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 1:30 am

As promised, here's my list.
It's always hard to pick just a few out of so many, and the wishlist is always longer than the "inventory", so I've picked the ones I've had most joy keeping so far.

1. Androctonus bicolor

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_1293-1

There's just something really special about these mid-sized black buthids that keeps me obsessed. I'll probably always have these in my collection.

2. Heterometrus swammerdami

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_0602

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_0783

What is there not to like? Huge scorpion with a great attitude. Besides that, she was the first one give me the joy of a brood.

3. Parabuthus villosus "oranje"

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_1489

One of the most beautiful scorpions. You can't go wrong with those orange pairs of legs.

4. Hottentotta caboverdensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_0925

A good example of the easiness to breed and lack of patience for broods that Callum keeps talking about Wink Breeding can't get any easier than Parthenogenesis. However, these have shown to be a real challenge to raise to adulthood, which has made me love them even more.

5. Mesobuthus spp.

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_1402

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG-0226

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 IMG_1476

Along with Hottentotta, Mesobuthus has became one of my favourite genus for keeping. I just couldn't pick a single specie, as all these have been a real pleasure to keep. They're always active, have real attitude and look great. They're one of the easiest scorpions for keeping too.

Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 5:23 am

bounce That's a good list, Dolby.

H. swammerdami, whether they are really bigger than emps or not, I reckon they beat them slightly in impressiveness. I think it's their huge, shield like chelae.

The P. villosus 'oranje' always look good. The setae on their metasoma are so thick it looks like a wire brush!

I think if I was going to raid your collection though, I'd take some Mesobuthus spp. I'm a sucker for EU scorpions and the others look great. That freshly moulted M. caucasicus Drool

Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 6:39 am

I want that P.villosus bang
Nice top 5, you have great taste.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 1:36 pm

I agree, great taste and photo's Dolby. Got to love the P. villosus, stunning species. Drool

Choosing just 5 from all the awesome species out there is really hard, I don't think there is a species I particularly don't like either.

Keep 'em coming people! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 6:00 pm

Thanks guys!
Jay wrote:
and photo's Dolby

Pretty amazing what a small cropping and a template can do Smile

M. caucasicus are definitely a great piece of scorpion. These are one of my future breeding projects. Just one more molt to go, yay!

Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 6:29 pm

The anticipation haha. Good luck with your breeding attempts Dolby.

So far, the most popular scorpion seems to be Parbuthus villosus. Well they are a great looking species, and they come in 3 different colours! I'd love to own one or two.

Don't forget, this thread isn't just for people who have kept, or keep, a lot of species. You can also include species you've had no experience with but would one day like to keep. It would also be good to see what some of the new comers to the hobby aspire to own.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 6:39 pm

DolbyR wrote:
These are one of my future breeding projects. Just one more molt to go, yay!

Good luck dude. My females are all gravid so I am hoping for slings soon. They truly are great little scorpions.
Back to top Go down
EmielVrolijk
Pandinus
EmielVrolijk

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty6/2/2014, 1:43 pm

Can I list my favourite scorpions without pictures as well? I don't want to anger anyone by stealing their work Wink I only own Rhopalurus junceus as of yet, plus 5 species that didn't make it to my top 5, but these are on my wish list for sure!

5. Bothriurus sp.
Beautiful colours in general! Don't know much about their behaviour though Wink

4. Androctonus mauretanicus

Big, bad, awesome scorpions!

3. Tityus fasciolatus
Again, wonderful colour, lots of character.

2. Scorpio maurus palmatus

I love the way these scorpions "shine". They truly look like pieces of gold!

1. Rhopalurus junceus

The younger ones are magnificent to behold, with their vibrant orange colours. The adults look duller, but still.. they're awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.disagreement.nl
EmielVrolijk
Pandinus
EmielVrolijk

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty5/11/2015, 4:12 pm

Update (I thought it fun to leave my last post unchanged, instead of editing it, for people to see how significantly it has changed Razz I'll put up some of my own pics soon!):

5. Parabuthus villosus "typical morph"
As if someone took 3 different scorps and glued them together. They're just marvellous! I don't own them yet, but soon, I will!

4. Hottentotta salei
Just plain beautiful, and somewhat like the Parabuthus villosus, as if multiple different scorps have been made into one whole. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these either, as they're quite hard to find and pretty expensive..

3. Euscorpius italicus
Funny and fast little buggers. I love my 3 gravid ladies!

2. Androctonus amoreuxi
Like a sunray distilled into the form of a scorp! Awesome character, and quite big as well. As of yet, I own only one adult female, but somewhere this coming week, 2 adult males, a sub-adult female and another adult female will arrive!

1. Hottentotta gentili
I just love their fierceness (they do not merely defend... they've literally approached and attacked my tweezers and my paint brush multiple times!), their glossy black exoskeleton, their great feeding response, and everything else about them. My first 2 instar 4's turned out to be a pair, as a local expert could tell me when counting their pectine teeth under a microscope, and I have 4 more instar 2's as well Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.disagreement.nl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2