The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??

Go down 
+4
shadowfoot
DolbyR
**GS**
Callum B
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty
PostSubject: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 7:35 am

Hello,

I spotted this on a UK snake forum and thought I'd steal it for here Smile

I've kept quite a number of different species now and I've enjoyed them all. However, some species in particular have stood out as being particularly great. Be it for their looks, behaviour, ''attitude'' and so on.

I'm sure others will feel the same and have their favourites. They could be in your collection now, maybe there was a species you had in the past that you loved and would do anything to get your hands on again, you could also include species that you've never kept but have admired and coveted since you first read about or saw a picture of it.

So, lets see your top 5 favourite species.

I want pictures and maybe a reason why they've made your top 5.

Pandinus ugandaensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0810

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0426

A Pandinus spp. had to make it on to the list. The genus contains some of the most impressive scorpions in the world. If I hadn't have kept this species, P. imperator would have been here.

My P. ugandaensis are really fun to own. They're full of attitude and will give any Buthidae a run for their money when it comes to ''trigger happiness'' lol. Mine have all been pretty active for Pandinus spp. so I get to see them fairly often. I've also managed to acquire and mate a couple of extra females so I'm getting pretty excited about a possible UK first brood from these guys.

Iomachus politus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0850

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0805

I don't think a scorpion can ever really be called cute, but for me these guys come close. There really is nothing bad about them. They're so placid and very easy to care for, they also have very mild venom (not that they'd sting you anyway) and so make a perfect smaller species for beginners or anyone for that matter. Raising youngsters is also very straightforward which is always a plus.

Buthus ibericus, plus the rest of the genus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? 296525_10150365390621311_509816310_10363857_1772064026_n1

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0311

I first came across Buthus ibericus when I went flipping rocks during the day in Portugal. Scorpions on crack!!! These guys are nutters. When disturbed they would charge around with their metasoma and half their mesosoma raised as vertically as possible, ready to sting anything that got to close. They really are bold scorpions and it definitely felt like they were trying to run you off. Aside from their 'attitude' they are also very attractive scorpions in my opinion, as are many other members of the genus. They're a breeze to keep as well, or so I've heard.

Euscorpius spp.

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN1648
Euscorpius italicus
[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0795
Euscorpius tergestinus
[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0067
Euscorpius flavicaudis

I couldn't choose just the one species from the genus, as I love them all. Above are some pics of a few of the species I keep. My first Euscorpius spp. were E. flavicaudis from Kent, UK. Yep, you read right. Scorpions in the UK?!?!?! As a scorpion nut from England, I had to have some. From there my interest in Euscorpius grew. This genus is often overlooked by many keepers here in Europe. I don't know why though. Maybe because they don't seem as exotic as species from far away lands? Or maybe it's their small size? Who knows?
Anyway, they're a fascinating genus that has colonised a massively diverse range of habitats, from alpine environments high in the Alps, to semi-arid landscapes in North Africa and beyond (introduced), to cold, wet, grey England lol.

Every species I have is a pleasure to own. Care is simple, breeding is easy and raising young has been no problem. Many species are very closely related and look very similar. So identifying what you have got can be a challenge, but one that I have enjoyed. Keeping this genus has taught me a lot about the techniques used to key out a species, which although at times frustrating, has been a fascinating learning curve. I've literally spent hours squinting at pictures of pedipalps, trying to count and see the arrangement of tiny dots (trichobothria) on the chela etc. Super geeky I know, but it beats watching the tv or playing xbox lol.........

Protoiurus kraepelini (formely Iurus kraepelini)

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN0202

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCN1282

These guys have been my firm favourite scorpion species since I got my first male in early 2011. I guess you have to own one to understand, as anyone looking at a picture of one will probably just see a big, brown scorpion. Get up close to one though and you'll see that it's not the case. From their thick, rusty orange, needle like setae, their massive chelae, to their weird, elongate telson, they are great looking scorpions. On top of this, they give birth to gigantic young that leaves you agasp at how they had all manage to fit inside their mother.

Behaviour wise they have character (if this can ever be applied to an invertebrate). When threatened they will try and box or clap you away by bringing both of their chelae together, it's a comical site. They rarely try to sting as a defensive action but will nearly always do so when capturing prey. They are also pretty inquisitive for scorpions, and often come out of hiding when I am spot cleaning etc. their enclosures to investigate what is going. It's in no way them trying to warn me off, they genuinely seem to be curious (oh oh, am I anthropomorphizing a scorpion to much?).

Lots of work is also being done on this genus, or should I say genera now (Iurus and Protoiurus) which is very interesting, and it's likely that we will see new species being described from various Mediterranean Islands soon. Exciting stuff.

I struggled finding information on how to care for these guys at first and had difficulty raising my first brood. However, after piecing the bits of information I could find together, they've proved to be fairly straight forward to keep and my little army of juveniles are doing great.

So there you have it, my top 5 favourites. There's a few others I would have like to have been in there but after mulling it over these are the species I would keep hold of if I had to seriously cut down my collection. Luckily I don't, and I have many more species that I enjoy keeping almost as equally as these guys lol.

Now it's everyone else's turn. I'm looking forward to seeing which species 'do it' for you Very Happy

Last edited by GS on 12/6/2012, 12:28 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated title)
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 7:53 am

What's with the stickyness lol??
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 8:02 am

Foresight Cool

I see it as a thread that encourages participation, sharing and learning.

Something that has been on our mind but was ultimately "killed by procrastination".

I say, why not let it be stickified Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 8:04 am

OK Smile

Anyway GS, stop procrastinating and lets see your top 5..........

Last edited by Callum B on 10/24/2012, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling, but will be forever seen thanks to Dolby quoting me............)
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 8:39 am

GS wrote:
I see it as a thread that encourages participation, sharing and learning.

+1

Callum wrote:

Anyway GS, stop procrastinatinating and lets see your top 5..........

Hahaha, watch out...he'll come up with nothing less than a top 50 Wink
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 9:31 am

I'll rather do the supporting role here. Asking questions and learning from the people here. As i have learnt from the very first post already Smile

Else, Callum might curse me for overwhelming his thread with pictures hysterical
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 9:38 am

GS wrote:
I'll rather do the supporting role here. Asking questions and learning from the people here. As i have learnt from the very first post already Smile

Else, Callum might curse me for overwhelming his thread with pictures hysterical

Shocked Well I feel let down Mr GS. I was looking forward to seeing some pretty pictures.

Not that the forum isn't already overloaded with your pictures.................. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 9:42 am

GS wrote:

Ha! Mysterious as always, GS!

I will certainly participate at a later time. I'm still in the middle of transferring my photo library from my previous photo hosting service into photobucket so don't expect pics from me for a while Sad
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 2:57 pm

I will have a go as well then Very Happy

Mesobuthus eupeus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_5810_zps29c5210d

These remind me a lot of hyenas. Feeding them is a pleasure each and ever time. I have witnessed four of these fighting over one roach and ripping it into four parts and then catching more in the other claw. Also great display scorpions as mine are very active even during the day sometimes. Them being communal just adds to their charm.

Parabuthus schlechteri

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCF5902_zps58387b4a

Also very aggressive feeders and a temper to match! Mine, in all the time of keeping them, has never refused a meal. Who can say no to the beautiful colouration? They love digging many chambered burrows so you dont see them much except for the pedipalps at the entrance of the burrow each and every night!
I have only been raising these for a few months from when they were 2i, at the moment they are 5i and still going strong.

Parabuthus villosus "Oranje Morph"

Link to Hauser's beautiful speciman:
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t2830-parabuthus-villosus-oranje-morph-hottentotta-salei

I have never kept these before but they are and always have been on my radar. 18cm Buthid? Yes please!

Opistacanthus capensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? DSCF4674_zps65354730

The only non-Buthid in my top five. As I have never kept P.imperator these had to fill the void, which they did brilliantly. I have never seen any aggression from them and I have seen over 100 specimens in the wild and captivity. You can literally just scoop them up with your bare hand. Being able to see these everyday in their natural environment is really a pleasure and a blessing.
There will always be an opening on my scorp rack for them.

Parabuthus granulatus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_5851_zpsbfdb1f86

Who can forget their first love? They have been in my collection since day one and that will never change. They grow big, max 16cm, and aren't that aggressive which is weird for Parabuthus imo.
I don't know if this is a bit weird but everytime I see my fat gravid females having a walk about at night I become very happy for some reason. I have never not enjoyed keeping them and I hope it stays that way for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 3:25 pm

Oooooo, some nice scorpions there shadowfoot.

I stuck to species I have had experience with on my top 5, but Parabuthus are probably at the top of my 'I want, I want, I want' list at the moment.

Such impressive scorpions. Parabuthus schlechteri and villosus 'oranje morph' are my favourite two. Although I'd be happy with any.

How much is shipping from ZAF shadowfoot......................?? Laughing

It's also good hearing what makes other scorpion keepers 'tick'.
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 3:28 pm

Great taste Shadowfoot!

Nice shots too.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 3:38 pm

Callum B wrote:
Oooooo, some nice scorpions there shadowfoot.

I stuck to species I have had experience with on my top 5, but Parabuthus are probably at the top of my 'I want, I want, I want' list at the moment.

Such impressive scorpions. Parabuthus schlechteri and villosus 'oranje morph' are my favourite two. Although I'd be happy with any.

How much is shipping from ZAF shadowfoot......................?? Laughing

It's also good hearing what makes other scorpion keepers 'tick'.

I get carried away when it comes to Parabuthus spp. They are just fantastic scorpions to work with. The day I stop keeping Parabuthus is the day hell freezes over.
Lets wait till you get your DWA license as its not illegal to export Buthids from South Africa Very Happy, only the not medically important scorpions such as Opistophthalmus and Opistacanthus are illegal to ship.

kfc223 wrote:
Great taste Shadowfoot!

Nice shots too.

Thanks KFC, I should thank you for some of these great photos Smile
Back to top Go down
toidy
Centruroides
toidy

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-28

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/24/2012, 10:44 pm

Now it's my turn Very Happy

#1 parabuthus villosus "black"

I've heard that these species are the biggest amongst the parabuthus villosus' morphs. Got this from a trade for my adult female heterometrus swammerdami. Very Happy

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG6572-M

#2 hottentotta jayakari
How i love the coloration of these species. black+yellow= cheers LOL
Got this from my friend after a lot of pleading Very Happy

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG-20120728-00072

#3 hottentotta saulcyi

these species are very heavy eaters. i just love seeing them munching on blatta lateralis LOL
Got this from a trade from a friend.

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_6553

#4 hottentotta judaicus and hottentotta gentili

these species almost looks the same. to tell you guys honestly, i really can't find any obvious physical difference between them Laughing
black hottentotta's rock! Danceparty

female hottentotta judaicus
[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_6556

female hottentotta gentili
[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_6555

#5 parabuthus liosoma

love the BODY of this gal! [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? 129887

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_6286

thanks guys!

cheers!

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/25/2012, 7:51 am

Chin Scratch I thought this thread would end up Buthidae heavy lol.

I really like the Hottentotta jayakari, Toidy.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty10/25/2012, 5:55 pm

Nice top 5. Hottentotta spp are great scorps but I'm loving the P.villosus Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/8/2012, 11:42 am

I'm verrrryyyy disappointed Evil or Very Mad . Usually people jump at the chance to show off their scorpions on this forum.

Come on people. Lets have 'em!!
Dolby, I beleive you said you would participate in this thread......................... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/8/2012, 11:44 am

I will mate, just need a couple more days Very Happy

Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 7:03 am

Callum B wrote:
I'm verrrryyyy disappointed Evil or Very Mad . Usually people jump at the chance to show off their scorpions on this forum.

Come on people. Lets have 'em!!
I think the problem is that the majority of members on here haven't fallen into trap of owning more than five species, some are still getting there while others maybe don't see the point in owning so many? I am sure this thread will develop into something awesome over time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 7:50 am

Callum B wrote:
you could also include species that you've never kept but have admired and coveted since you first read about or saw a picture of it.

Not that I disagree with your point Shadowfoot, but in my opinion, it's not so much about owning. I'm sure lots of members here have their list of top scorpions. It may be in the form of a wishlist or just general admiration. Anyone that has more knowledge than just the general ASF or Pandinus, will be able to list 5 species.

I think this time of year may be more complicated for getting replies though, as everybody is back to school/work, and there may not be enough time for getting in the forum that often.

Just my 2cts on the subject Smile

Last edited by DolbyR on 11/9/2012, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 7:56 am

Thats true.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 7:56 am

Excuse me but I will not have other people claiming my quotes Dolby Very Happy Not sure what happened there lol.

Yep, you don't have to have kept the species. I just want to know what scorpions do it for you and why. Plus have a thread full of pretty pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 7:59 am

Sorry mate, thanks for pointing it out. Working and writing at the same time is never good Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 8:03 am

I was only messing anyway. Tut tut, get back to work lol. Saying that, I'm sure I'm supposed to be at a lecture in an hour........
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 10:44 am

Well, as Callum knows, I can't have just the one list. It's kind of painful for me to list my most favourite species as I have little to no chance of ever actually keeping them, well not for a good few years anyway.

It's like asking a blind person what their 5 most favourite movies are.

This would be my list if I lived anywhere other than this scorpion hating country. Obviously this list would probably change if I actually had kept them before but I'm just purely going by looks and what I've read about them. Also it probably changes from time to time when I see good pics of other species.

1. Androctonus australis
2. Parabuthus transvaalicus
3. Hottentotta jayakari
4. Uroplectes fischeri
5. Centruroides meisei

Now I'll come back down to earth and list my 5 favourite species I have kept.

1. Heterometrus madraspatensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_55571

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Hmadras4-1

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Hmadras3

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_3725

I'm sure some of you could have guessed this would be my number one. Not really because they stand out against any other forest scorpions, although their yellow legs are appealing. More from the great experiences they have brought me, their relative ease to keep and breed also how great parents they are. I have over 50 of these at the moment all at different stages.

2. Hadrurus arizonensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Hap3

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_1693

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Haddy4

One of the first species I kept, my first Haddy was the scorp that sparked the addiction for me. I'll always have a Haddy in my collection.

3. Hoffmannius spinigerus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? H

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Spinigerus_edited-1

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_0612

These in my opinion are just great all round little desert scorps. They look great to me, pretty active, trigger happy and easy to care for.

4. Smeringurus mesaensis

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_2708

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Smeringusmesaensismacrosmall_edited-1-1

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_2726

Again a great little feisty desert scorp. They're lightening fast, look great and again easy to care for.

5. Pandinus cavimanus

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Cavi

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? IMG_2968

Finally I've always had a soft spot for these aggressive powerful forest scorps.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty11/9/2012, 11:40 am

Great top 5! Those Smeringurus mesaensis look awesome, I would love to keep some of those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??   [Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

[Sharing] Your top 5 scorpions ??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next