The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Broken Limb

Go down 
+2
shebeen
pittsburghpiff
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pittsburghpiff
Pandinus
pittsburghpiff

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/19/2012, 9:47 pm

About a week ago my Emperor Scorpion Nero managed to escape his enclosure. During the process he managed to break off his back left leg from the end of the first segment down. Since his capture a few days ago he has seem to do fine, he is eating well and still has full mobility. My concern is that now a white residue is forming near the end of the leg where it was broken. Any ideas what this might be and what course of action I should take?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/20/2012, 12:20 pm

A photo of the injury would help a great deal. Emperors are pretty hardy scorpions. Unless there's fluid leaking from the wound, chances are good your scorpion will recover. The fact that he's eating and getting around is a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/20/2012, 12:56 pm

We need a picture for sure.

Best case scenario it's the natural crusting over healing up the opening, scab type material. Worst case it's some kind of fungus or bacteria setting into an open wound which will prove fatal. That's why a picture would be best.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
pittsburghpiff
Pandinus
pittsburghpiff

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/21/2012, 9:08 pm

This was the best picture I could get...

Broken Limb P1010010
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/22/2012, 5:58 am

he will probably be fine we had a scorpion loose a leg and he carried on as normal lol, i cant remember if its the same with scorpions but im pretty sure it is, that if they get a wound there fluid/blood doesnt clot/thicken so may need treatment to help clotting, im sure ive read that people use flour to dab onto the would to seal it Smile
Back to top Go down
pittsburghpiff
Pandinus
pittsburghpiff

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty10/22/2012, 6:45 am

Well I dont see any fluid per say, it's more of a crust. Although flour does sound like a good idea if that's the problem, I think I may try it just to be safe. Thanks Bex!
Back to top Go down
mswartz1979
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-22

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty5/22/2013, 9:02 am

My daughter accidentally dropped the wood hut on her tarantulas leg, mid section of her leg, I read on here that she might nip off her own leg. about how long would it be for her to do so? If nipped off, can it grow back? My daughter is devastated..
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty5/22/2013, 12:37 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
he will probably be fine we had a scorpion loose a leg and he carried on as normal lol, i cant remember if its the same with scorpions but im pretty sure it is, that if they get a wound there fluid/blood doesnt clot/thicken so may need treatment to help clotting, im sure ive read that people use flour to dab onto the would to seal it Smile

Read that too somewhere and you could try it.
Make sure it's clean and your hands are clean too.
To prevent bacterial infections.

And it will be fine I think. Shebeen was right, if it is not continually losing body fluid.
The body fluid is called hemolymph and it functions both as blood and a sort cell fluid.

Joey
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty5/22/2013, 12:50 pm

mswartz1979 wrote:
My daughter accidentally dropped the wood hut on her tarantulas leg, mid section of her leg, I read on here that she might nip off her own leg. about how long would it be for her to do so? If nipped off, can it grow back? My daughter is devastated..

Hello,

I don't know how long it will take, but if the T begins to get bothered by it, I think the chances will get higher that it will try to lose it.

Tarantula's have regenerative capabilities and the leg can come back partially or altogether.
I think if it's still a young spider the chances of a full regeneration are perhaps higher.
However it will take quite a while for it to regenerate.

And no judgement here, don't take this the wrong way, but I personally don't think a Tarantula doesn't make a good pet for a (young) child.

Children tend to be less coordinated than adults and take bigger risks in handling the animals. I have heard many stories of this going wrong and the animal always gets the blame. While it is not.
Tarantulas and scorpions maybe hard on the outside but incredibly vulnerable and fragile creatures.

However,an accident can happen, and again, if it is not constantly leaking hemolymph fluid, there is a good chance it will be fine. In the utmost need, go to your local vet (with experience with exotics of course) and have the leg amputated.But I wouldn't do that unless in utter need.

Take care,

Joey

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Broken Limb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Limb   Broken Limb Empty

Back to top Go down

Broken Limb
Page 1 of 1