The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Weak female

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
reaperdavidian
Pandinus

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/10/2012, 5:58 pm

Hello there.
I had a successfull breeding with my two Petersiis about a month ago. I separated the male when I saw the first babies(cause he got a little aggressive with the female). After a couple of weeks I reintroduced him in the "family" enclosoure cause I saw the babies started wandering around the enclosoure, eating mealworms by themselves etc etc.

The problem is that there was a little fighting between the two adults, with the female pinching the male when the male grabbed her.
After a couple of days, when the fighting stopped, i noticed that the female started walking weakly with her pincers closed at all times. A little defensive i guess. She even needed her tail to push her over some obstacles.. What is wrong with her?

I put her in a small box with a little higher humidity and temperature in case she had been injured by the male. I had also noticed small bugs around the terrarium(mites i guess).

Any help appreciated!

PS: One last thing..Some time ago I introduced them to silicon water gel. I've seen them eating it, but when I offered them water, they drunk like crazy. maybe it has smth to do with this?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 7:23 am

That water gel stuff is certainly useless for scorpions but if that was some time ago and they've been provided with actual drinking water since then, I'd doubt that is the problem.

Sounds to me like either she has taken a bit of a battering from the male being reintroduced to the enclosure with a mother and her babies. Or she could be getting to the end of her life with the stress giving birth and raising kids can give. Also if you do have mites that could add to the stress. Could also just be old age as no one can really tell the age on an adult scorpion.

Just clutching at straws here because it's hard to get an idea of what is actually going on, maybe some pics would help others to help you.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
reaperdavidian
Pandinus

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 9:12 am

Thanks a lot for answering. I think it has something to do pretty much with all these stuff. She doesn't open her pincers and now she can't move her tail. It's like paralyzed or smth. She can move her body but the tail is like a burden.

I only doubt the age thing, cause she is relatively small in size(quite smaller than the male). But, that doesn't say a lot, right?
The mites don't seem to be many cause I rarely spot some on the substrate.

I will upload pics or a video when i get home.

I guess I wouldn't be wrong to suppose that these are her last hours.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 12:38 pm

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all but don't loose faith just yet! Very Happy

If you have the enclosures/space to do so I'd be tempted to separate the babies from the adults and also the two adults from each other. Mainly to minimise stress to the weak mother and to protect the babies from becoming food. Make sure the female is in the correct conditions with access to water and as disturbance free as possible.

The size isn't really an indicator of age. She is an adult, because she's had babies so unless she molted into adulthood in your care there is no way to tell how old she really is.

The odd mite on the substrate is nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
reaperdavidian
Pandinus

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 1:03 pm

Weak petersii, that's how she sits all day.if i bug her, she moves her body with her legs..the tail, nothing.

As i said, she sits like that all day..if i bug her then she may move her body with the legs..but the tail is like paralyzed

https://s1356.photobucket.com/albums/q740/reaperdavidian/?action=view¤t=MOV_0053_zps9a4db029.mp4
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 1:24 pm

Unfortunately her tail lying out like that, unable to move it, is a pretty strong sign she may not make it.
Back to top Go down
reaperdavidian
Pandinus

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty10/11/2012, 1:37 pm

:/ ...too bad. At least the male and the scorplings are doing fine together.
Thanks anyways. I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weak female Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weak female   Weak female Empty

Back to top Go down

Weak female
Page 1 of 1