The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Can anyone identify??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Can anyone identify?? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty9/27/2012, 1:11 pm

Hi all,
Recently acquired what I believe to be a Dwarf Boa, not too well up on these and have been trying to identify what sub-species it is..
He is about three years old if this helps.. Very Happy

Thanks in advance

edit: sorry could someone perhaps tell me how to post pics Razz
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty9/28/2012, 2:05 am

Now, scroll down all the way to this webpage, you will see a text field and some icons above it. You can either use the servimg function here (icon to the left of picture icon) or upload your photos to free photo hosting sites such as photobucket.com, then copy the assigned direct link and paste it in the field when you clicked on the picture icon.

I'm away on my iphone now, it's hard to me to do a pictorial guide.
Hope you managed it somehow. Do a search in the forum "how do i post pictures"

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty9/28/2012, 8:50 am

Hi, cheers for that GS, I guess I'll have to create an account with them when I get five mins!
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/9/2012, 12:52 pm

Can anyone identify?? Hechec13
Ah just tried again and seems to have worked, anyway the story so far is:
I'm told that he's too small to tell and that you can only tell if it is indeed a Dwarf by its adult length.. so basically that I cannot identify it until it grows past six foot.. is this right because it sounds a bit dodgy Shocked

EDIT: I know he looks really skinny and he has put on a bit of weight since he's been under my care, but that should change hopefully after a few more rats.. by the way I'm told he's almost definitely a Rainbow variety but still unsure, he definitely does have a strong rainbow all over his body in the right light, I will try and capture it in a picture and post.
Cheers in advance all
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/9/2012, 1:26 pm

Can anyone identify?? Snake_10 This is a better one showing his rainbow-y scales Razz
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/9/2012, 4:37 pm

all boas have some iridescence, I dont know who told you its a rainbow variety or what they meant by that, there are rainbow boas but yours is definetly not a rainbow boa
this is a rainbow boa
Can anyone identify?? Rainbow_coil-med

yours looks like a regular common boa to me, even if he is short, that can be down to poor feeding when young, I have seen adult female commons stay small due to this.
Also as you dont know the parentage or bloodlines of this snake it can only ever be called a normal even if he stays small.
The length doesnt make the local the bloodlines do hehe
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/10/2012, 8:45 am

Hi Lycanlord, I see.. When you say 'Common' Boa I'm guessing you mean a straight up normal Boa, meaning not a Dwarf?

Hanks for the reply, lovely snake btw dude
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/10/2012, 3:23 pm

hehe that picture is just a google pic of a brazillian rainbow boa, I do have a columbian rainbow boa though.
yeah normal boa, you say its three years old, do you know how it was fed previously, and how it was kept.
How long is he from snout to tip, how much does he weigh.

The reason I say normal is that if you were to ever breed him, any offspring would have to be sold as normals, as you dont know his genetics.
He does look like a nice dark normal to me, pictures in natural light will help though

Heres a few of my normals, just so you can see they can vary lol

This guy was probably a local of some kind but I didnt know his lineage, so a normal he is haha
Can anyone identify?? Boa110

Can anyone identify?? Photo-17

Can anyone identify?? 545108_247051892070413_1876755400_n

Can anyone identify?? 559635_233233140118955_1326568002_n

Can anyone identify?? 5370_240189720292_2944595_n
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/11/2012, 8:41 am

They are really nice healthy looking snakes, I'm in the office at the moment but I'd say he's just under 4ft and I'm told he was just on chicks before I took him, I'm assuming that's down to his thin girth..
Just to clear something up, how many of those in the pictures are Dwarves?
Just asking because while you said mine is definitely a 'normal' as I'm unsure of his heritage is fair enough.. do you mean 'normal' boa or Dwarf boa as I'm still a bit confused Embarassed
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/11/2012, 8:44 am

Oh yeah and he was in something like a 4(L)x2(W)x 4ft tall before I had him and his enclosure seemed pretty sound with regards to heat & lighting etc.. not sure about his old humidity though..
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/11/2012, 9:19 am

the 1st and 4th snakes are both adults just under 6ft so are in the dwarf range, but neither are dwarves as I dont have the background info needed.

Basically you have a Boa constrictor imperator (BCI) or (common boa)
Dwarf species such as el salvadors, hogg island etc are also BCI's they are just from a different geographical location where they happen to be slightly different.(locals)

look at all the locals on this page
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/832040-sizedms-photo-guide-dwarf-locality.html

they are all dwarf localities but they are all still Boa Constrictor Imperator

So you have a BCI whatever anybody tells you is just speculation, as nobody knows where it came from or where its parents came from and so on.
And as shown in my pics common BCI can look different so you cant really guess at locals lol
Back to top Go down
botsnubble
Pandinus
botsnubble

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty10/17/2012, 8:13 am

Righty o, so basically it may be a Dwarf or a normal? If there is no records to say what its parents were, it cannot be identified as a Dwarf or normal until it outgrows my bedroom? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone identify??   Can anyone identify?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify??
Page 1 of 1