The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Building a false bottom, which one's right??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blee
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty
PostSubject: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/20/2012, 3:23 pm

So, I have been looking at the true false bottom. On this forum, there were some members who built it. Now, I kept reading two different things. People say that false bottom is to drain out the excess water, which means that substrate shouldn't touch the water at all. Now, for the emp scorpion, the members keep telling people to make sure substrate touch the water. Which one is right?? So, I have two links. One seems like the true false bottom and the other one, modified to wick up the water to substrate. Which one is right??

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t6734-how-to-build-a-false-bottom-using-nylon-rope-wicks

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/new-false-bottom-setup-no-rocks-t3139.htm?highlight=false+bottom
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/21/2012, 6:15 pm

People who keep dart frogs use false bottoms for drainage. Their enclosures often employ misters and foggers to maximize humidity and water live plants. The primary concern for these types of enclosures is getting the water added from above out of the substrate, thus the substrate should not come into contact with the drainage reservoir in the false bottom.

In a tropical scorpion enclosure, false bottoms are used to get moisture (water) into the substrate from below using capillary action. In this case, the water reservoir is filled with gravel or clay hydroballs to which the substrate is placed in direct contact. The substrate is typically separated from the gravel with nylon window screen to prevent the scorpion from digging into the gravel.

I use nylon wicks, rather than gravel, in my false bottoms to reduce weight. In larger tanks, a couple inches of gravel becomes quite heavy. In either case, the goal is to transport water in the bottom of the tank up into the substrate. For this to happen, the substrate needs to be in contact with the transport medium, be it gravel or hydroballs or wicks. Evaporation alone, i.e., no contact with the substrate, won't do the job.
Back to top Go down
KingofHearts
Hadogenes
KingofHearts

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/21/2012, 9:47 pm

shebeen wrote:
People who keep dart frogs use false bottoms for drainage. Their enclosures often employ misters and foggers to maximize humidity and water live plants. The primary concern for these types of enclosures is getting the water added from above out of the substrate, thus the substrate should not come into contact with the drainage reservoir in the false bottom.

In a tropical scorpion enclosure, false bottoms are used to get moisture (water) into the substrate from below using capillary action. In this case, the water reservoir is filled with gravel or clay hydroballs to which the substrate is placed in direct contact. The substrate is typically separated from the gravel with nylon window screen to prevent the scorpion from digging into the gravel.

I use nylon wicks, rather than gravel, in my false bottoms to reduce weight. In larger tanks, a couple inches of gravel becomes quite heavy. In either case, the goal is to transport water in the bottom of the tank up into the substrate. For this to happen, the substrate needs to be in contact with the transport medium, be it gravel or hydroballs or wicks. Evaporation alone, i.e., no contact with the substrate, won't do the job.

This guy knows his stuff! The only thing I would add to this conversation is that if your using a false bottom for a Emperor scorpion, some people suggest gluing a small peice of pvc pipe or something similar to the bottom so that you can easily refill the water on the bottom. From what Ive read its a choice kind of thing. You can also pour water down the corners of the tank. If you use the pvc make sure you can cover the hole somehow so your scorp dosnt fall in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/KingofHeartsNERDCORE
blee
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/24/2012, 5:19 am

Ahh... Thank you!! you guys clarified my question. Now, I am off to set up my false bottom for the new habitat!
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/25/2012, 1:54 pm

The fill tube also doesn't need to be a tube or pipe--a 1" wide strip of plastic (from a water or milk jug, etc.) placed vertically in a corner of the tank will do the trick. It can be fastened with silicone or just held in place by the substrate. The point about covering/blocking the fill tube is a good one. It not only prevents small scorps from falling into it, but feeders as well.
Back to top Go down
KingofHearts
Hadogenes
KingofHearts

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty9/26/2012, 9:41 am

@shebeen: I never thought about the plastic strip, thanks for the good idea!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/KingofHeartsNERDCORE
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a false bottom, which one's right??   Building a false bottom, which one's right?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Building a false bottom, which one's right??
Page 1 of 1