The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Blocking burrow up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
utopianshadow19
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Blocking burrow up   9/4/2012, 12:34 pm

I've noticed that my emp keeps blocking up his burrow, i have read that this is a sign o molting but he does not show any other signs of going into a molt. He is not bloated but he refuses food. i thought it was just him being fussy because he usually is. Anyway, is it normal for emps to block up burrows when they have no other entrance/exit.

Thanks everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion975
Pandinus

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   9/11/2012, 11:16 am

Mine does it all the time. It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

I don't use my hand because of the risk of being stung as I cannot really see what the scorpion is doing in there. It's too deep and dark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
**GS**
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   9/12/2012, 3:40 am

utopianshadow19 wrote:
is it normal for emps to block up burrows when they have no other entrance/exit.
Thanks everyone! Smile

Yes, it is normal. Some will do that.

In a way, it gives them the sense of security they need. This action of "sealing off their burrow" is not necessarily a sign of molting/pregnancy.

Let me know if you have other queries Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DolbyR
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   9/12/2012, 4:18 am

Scorpion975 wrote:
It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

From my personal opinion, I do not recommend doing this. If the scorpion has sealed the burrow, there is a reason as GS stated.

When they get hungry, they WILL come out or embush pray from the burrow entrance. I would advise just leaving the weekly "meal" around, without forcing it into the burrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Scorpion975
Pandinus

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   9/12/2012, 10:31 am

DolbyR wrote:
Scorpion975 wrote:
It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

From my personal opinion, I do not recommend doing this. If the scorpion has sealed the burrow, there is a reason as GS stated.

When they get hungry, they WILL come out or embush pray from the burrow entrance. I would advise just leaving the weekly "meal" around, without forcing it into the burrow.

I don't leave feeders in longer than a few hours (overnight).

His burrow isn't sealed in the sense that it's not fortified, just dug up underneath the hide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
utopianshadow19
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   9/13/2012, 11:35 am

Okay thanks everyone. He recently came out and dug a new burrow that's really deep and i haven't seen him for a week. Also he hasn't fed for about 3 weeks although i did put a locust in that disappeared so i'm guessing he ate it, either that or it escaped somehow. Probably eaten though. can't see any bits but i don't want to destroy his burrow to get the bits.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   

Back to top Go down

Blocking burrow up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1