The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Introducing another...?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DanDamage92
Hadogenes
DanDamage92

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Introducing another...? Empty
PostSubject: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/2/2012, 3:11 pm

Hi guys. Its been way too long. Over a year since I was last on here! TBH I forgot about the website when my PC died as I had it bookmarked. Anyway I still have my Emp. Still my first scorp. He is a fairly big chap and a few years old I would imagine. I got him when he was fully grown. Today I have redone his whole cage. New substrate, cork bark, moss etc. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a second scorpion to the tank? its a fairly large tank I would say 24inch? If so how would I go about doing this? Thanks Guys
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/3/2012, 2:26 am

If its 24", you could definitely add a second scorpion to it. Just make sure you have atleast 2 hides, 3 would be ideal.

I suggest you introduce them the following way.

1. remove your existing scorpion
2. re-decorate your enclosure
3. add both scorpions

This has worked best for most scorpions keepers, as when you redecorate the tank, your first scorpion will no longer recognize it as its own territory and therefore, the chance for territorial disputes is minimized.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
DanDamage92
Hadogenes
DanDamage92

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/3/2012, 4:36 pm

so age shouldnt be a problem if i got another the simular size?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/3/2012, 6:29 pm

DanDamage92 wrote:
Well, that depends.........is one scorpion an adult and one a juvenile? Are they both juveniles? Or are they both adults?

Scorpions don't molt once they are adults. There is a (relatively small with emps) risk of cannibalism during molts.

I take it your emp is an adult? Adults have red telsons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/4/2012, 12:32 am

DanDamage92 wrote:
He is a fairly big chap and a few years old I would imagine. I got him when he was fully grown.
Yes, should be a full adult.

DanDamage92 wrote:

Age or instar affects when there's obvious size difference between two specimens that you are trying to co-habit. Reason being, there is a chance of one party easily overpowering the other, if a fight were to break out between the two (before a keeper have the chance to separate them)

Since you got an adult male, it would be ideal to add in adults as well, DolbyR has given you great advice on the introduction steps, and by following them, the chances for territorial disputes will be reduced greatly.

If you were to introduced an adult female, your current male would most likely attempt to mate her and things should NOT turn ugly as long as the female was not already gravid when you got her.

If you are only able to get sub adults as addition, my advice is to get a minimum of at least a 6.instar specimen. The size of your new addition should be no lesser then 70% of the adult male you already had (my recommendation).

Observe the interaction between them for a few days and keep them well fed and in the correctly substrate depth and moisture. Things should turn out fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty9/4/2012, 11:37 am

GS wrote:
DanDamage92 wrote:
He is a fairly big chap and a few years old I would imagine. I got him when he was fully grown.
Yes, should be a full adult.

DanDamage92 wrote:

Age or instar affects when there's obvious size difference between two specimens that you are trying to co-habit. Reason being, there is a chance of one party easily overpowering the other, if a fight were to break out between the two (before a keeper have the chance to separate them)

Since you got an adult male, it would be ideal to add in adults as well, DolbyR has given you great advice on the introduction steps, and by following them, the chances for territorial disputes will be reduced greatly.

If you were to introduced an adult female, your current male would most likely attempt to mate her and things should NOT turn ugly as long as the female was not already gravid when you got her.

If you are only able to get sub adults as addition, my advice is to get a minimum of at least a 6.instar specimen. The size of your new addition should be no lesser then 70% of the adult male you already had (my recommendation).

Observe the interaction between them for a few days and keep them well fed and in the correctly substrate depth and moisture. Things should turn out fine Smile
+1.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing another...?   Introducing another...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing another...?
Page 1 of 1