The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!


 
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 
 

 My Small Scorpion Collection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 7:00 am

Here's my small collection, 8 Scorps and growing!

S. Subtilimanus - Agile Scorpion



P. Pauliani - Yellow Rock Scorpion



P. Cavimanus Africanus - African Red Claw Scorpion


O. Wahlbergi - Tricolour Burrowing Scorpion


O. Madagascarensis - Madagascan Flat Rock Scorpion


O. Glabifrons - Shiny Burrowing Scorpion


H. Madraspatensis - Madras Forest Scorpion



H. Longimanus - Asian Forest Scorpion

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
avatar

Number of posts : 1298
Age : 25
Location : South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 7:11 am

Very nice collection, guess you're from the UK?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 7:16 am

Yes I am :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 1895
Age : 19
Location : Cortland, New York
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 1:23 pm

Very nice collection!

The scorpion you have labeled as H. longimanus looks like an H. petersii to me though. I take it that it's female?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 3:02 pm

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
Very nice collection!

The scorpion you have labeled as H. longimanus looks like an H. petersii to me though. I take it that it's female?

I bought it as asian forest, I believe which both longimanus and petersii are referred to as this?

I am probably wrong, unfortunately my latin is not great, can you advise the differences between the two?

I am not sure of the sex of any of my scorps, at present they are kept individually with no intention to breed so at the time of purchase it wasn't important but now would love to know sexes of them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LXDNG79
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 605
Age : 38
Location : Borneo, Sarawak, Malaysia
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 3:55 pm

Last one isn't H. longimanus...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 4:29 pm

LXDNG79 wrote:
Last one isn't H. longimanus...

So if he / she is in fact H. petersii, what is the common name for this species? I am not familiar with the latin

It was bought as asian forest from my local reptile shop, I did question at the time whether it was an asian forest as It was not similar to the one that I had previously but the shop assured me it was from a reliable source and was an asian forest...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 1895
Age : 19
Location : Cortland, New York
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what the common name for H. petersii is. Common names are so variable, and with Heterometrus sp. they all seem to get labeled as "Asian Forsest Scorpions".

Your scorp might also be an H. laoticus.
I can't tell from the pic (probably because I need new lenses for my glasses) but is there any granulation on the carapace? Or is it 100% smooth? H. laoticus have no granulation on the carapace.

Would it be possible to get more pictures of the carapace and some of the patella of the pedipalps? This would aid in getting an accurate ID.

_________________
"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
buddylee79
Pandinus
avatar

Number of posts : 18
Age : 38
Registration date : 2009-10-25

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 5:03 pm

Turisas wrote:
Here's my small collection

Remember, its not the size that matters... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
avatar

Number of posts : 1298
Age : 25
Location : South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 7:14 pm

Your O. glabrifrons is definitely female and the O. wahlbergi is probably male.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/24/2012, 7:56 pm

Do you think she looks gravid ? As seems large to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LXDNG79
Tityus
avatar

Number of posts : 605
Age : 38
Location : Borneo, Sarawak, Malaysia
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/25/2012, 3:06 am

Turisas wrote:
LXDNG79 wrote:
Last one isn't H. longimanus...

So if he / she is in fact H. petersii, what is the common name for this species? I am not familiar with the latin

It was bought as asian forest from my local reptile shop, I did question at the time whether it was an asian forest as It was not similar to the one that I had previously but the shop assured me it was from a reliable source and was an asian forest...

Yea... all Heterometrus sp. are labeled Asian Forest Scorpion in pet shops... if they do use the Latin name, they are rarely correct... Even real scorpiologist are hesitant to put an ID on them until they refer to all the ID keys...

For hobbyist its really a matter of finding a species compatible pair if you want to mate and breed them...

cheers and best regards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
avatar

Number of posts : 1298
Age : 25
Location : South Africa
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/25/2012, 5:21 am

Turisas wrote:
Do you think she looks gravid ? As seems large to me
Are you talking about the O. glabrifrons?
She might be gravid, only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Turisas
Pandinus


Number of posts : 15
Age : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/27/2012, 1:03 pm

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
I'm not sure what the common name for H. petersii is. Common names are so variable, and with Heterometrus sp. they all seem to get labeled as "Asian Forsest Scorpions".

Your scorp might also be an H. laoticus.
I can't tell from the pic (probably because I need new lenses for my glasses) but is there any granulation on the carapace? Or is it 100% smooth? H. laoticus have no granulation on the carapace.

Would it be possible to get more pictures of the carapace and some of the patella of the pedipalps? This would aid in getting an accurate ID.






Back to top Go down
View user profile
KLN1988
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 176
Age : 29
Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/27/2012, 1:15 pm

I think he is a Laoticus..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 1895
Age : 19
Location : Cortland, New York
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   8/27/2012, 3:39 pm

I can see granulation now, so that rules out laoticus.

The scorpion is definitely a male.
What's strange is that male H. petersii have an enlarged tibial tooth, but this scorp does not appear to have this feature. Perhaps it's just the angle of the pics?

_________________
"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
toidy
Centruroides
avatar

Number of posts : 149
Age : 31
Location : Philippines
Registration date : 2012-07-28

PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   9/4/2012, 8:36 pm

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
I can see granulation now, so that rules out laoticus.

The scorpion is definitely a male.
What's strange is that male H. petersii have an enlarged tibial tooth, but this scorp does not appear to have this feature. Perhaps it's just the angle of the pics?

+1.. it looks like a male laoticus to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My Small Scorpion Collection   

Back to top Go down
 
My Small Scorpion Collection
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» My Small Scorpion Collection
» part of my scorpion collection photoshoot pics
» My first scorpion with an interesting story......
» two scorpions together help!please help quick
» [HOW TO] Guide to Feeding Young Scorpions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpion Pictures / Videos-
Jump to: