The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Desert Scorpion Setup

Go down 
+5
Callum B
Scorpion19981000
Envyizm
shebeen
GeoGeo
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GeoGeo
Pandinus
GeoGeo

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-08-07

My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 3:41 pm

shadowfoot wrote:
One question. How long have you been keeping scorpions? I have been keeping scorpions for 6 years, you on the other hand cant even see that your scorpion isnt a Androctonus bicolor or even know its scientific name for that matter. Ignorant people like you make the world a very entertaining place indeed.

What you just did is ignorant have a nice day!
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 3:44 pm

shadowfoot wrote:
One question. How long have you been keeping scorpions? I have been keeping scorpions for 6 years, you on the other hand cant even see that your scorpion isnt a Androctonus bicolor or even know its scientific name for that matter. Ignorant people like you make the world a very entertaining place indeed.

Agreed
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 3:49 pm

Man, your logic is so flawed its scary. Why look down on everyone when they try to give you advice and trying to keep YOUR scorpion alive. Some of the people on here like Envyizm has been helping me a lot and thanks to his advice I now have a very rare scorpion that has succesfully given birth. Your loss if you think you are too high and mighty to accept advice from a reputable breeder, a very knowledgeable 14 year old and other people who have a lot more experience than you do.
Back to top Go down
GeoGeo
Pandinus
GeoGeo

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 3:52 pm

kfc223 wrote:
shadowfoot wrote:

Agreed

For the simple fact you agree with him I see the both of you have poor reading comprehension and that is something that you should focus on instead if trying to look like somebody on a forum.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 4:20 pm

GeoGeo wrote:
So you think in africa or maybe iraq they have the luxury of 80-90 degree weather and lighting softer than the sun without competition for burrows?

No, but I think that they have the opportunity to burrow.

Quote :
Watch a documentary on how scorpions really live in the desert
I once took a trip down to Arizona to the Sonoran Desert, I know first hand how scorpions live. Shadowfoot has already made the points that I was going to make.

Quote :
I see your age is 14 so you will have to look for information that is probably older than you.
Okay, why don't you take a trip to Cornell's entomology department and see how they keep their invertebrates.
I'll make it easy for you, here's a link: http://entomology.cornell.edu/

GeoGeo wrote:
shadowfoot wrote:

What you just did is ignorant have a nice day!
How is that "ignorant"? You appear to be ignorant of what the word "ignorant" means!

Anyway, it's a legitimate question. Would you mind answering it?

GeoGeo wrote:

For the simple fact you agree with him I see the both of you have poor reading comprehension and that is something that you should focus on instead if trying to look like somebody on a forum.
Everyone on here is trying to help you!
Poor reading comprehension? So, now you're just going to insult people?

GeoGeo wrote:
shadowfoot wrote:
And why is there such a large waterbowl in there? Serves no purpose, only a death trap for a desert scorpion.

Not even a cricket will drown the way this bowl is designed
I've seen crickets drown is less than a centimeter of standing water.
I completely agree with Shadowfoot here. Your scorpion would never encounter that amount of free standing water in nature. Also, it's more then likely that your scorp will develop mycosis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
GeoGeo
Pandinus
GeoGeo

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 4:26 pm

Ive taken everything you all have said into consideration but please understand I like to do things different then the average person(I can't stand copycats). Anyways I'm going to look into this mycosis thing but just know that bowl has steps on the inside and outside of it and the scorp has been using it just fine
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 4:44 pm

GeoGeo wrote:
Ive taken everything you all have said into consideration but please understand I like to do things different then the average person(I can't stand copycats).
Fair enough, but please add more substrate for it to burrow in, use a lower wattage daylight bulb if you feel that you must use one, and you may want look into use excavator sand.

Quote :
Anyways I'm going to look into this mycosis thing but just know that bowl has steps on the inside and outside of it and the scorp has been using it just fine.
Mycosis is basically a fungal infection that can lead to the eventual death of the scorpion. It happens if a desert scorpion is exposed to too much humidity.
Back to top Go down
GeoGeo
Pandinus
GeoGeo

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 4:56 pm

It digs into the sand underneath the rocks so I'm pretty certain the light can't penetrate the hide and i dont think mycosis would be a problem since i have the tank bone dry at 40% humidity with a wire top.

Ok im 100% sure now it won't be bothered by the light i just filled a small cup with 2 1/2 cm sand and went into a pitch black room and put a uv light and regular flash light directly under it and it let 0% light through

Hmm i dont really like the excavator sand whats you experience with it?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 6:29 pm

GeoGeo wrote:
It digs into the sand underneath the rocks so I'm pretty certain the light can't penetrate the hide and i dont think mycosis would be a problem since i have the tank bone dry at 40% humidity with a wire top.
With a water dish that size, mycosis is bound to happen eventually. A smaller one would be preferable, in fact, you don't even need to have a water dish in the tank everyday.
Quote :
Ok im 100% sure now it won't be bothered by the light i just filled a small cup with 2 1/2 cm sand and went into a pitch black room and put a uv light and regular flash light directly under it and it let 0% light through
Okay, I still suggest lowering the wattage of the bulb, 125 watts is a overkill in a tank that size.

Quote :
Hmm i dont really like the excavator sand whats you experience with it?
What's not to like?
It is expensive, but you can make your own using a claywater solution. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ascorpionforum.darkbb.com+claywater
Back to top Go down
GeoGeo
Pandinus
GeoGeo

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 6:44 pm

The clay + moisture part and they say not to use undertank heater with it is what bothers me
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty8/15/2012, 6:47 pm

GeoGeo wrote:
The clay + moisture part and they say not to use undertank heater with it is what bothers me
You have to wait for the sand to completely dry before you introduce the scorpion, which can take a while. That's the only downfall of this method in my opinion. That 125 watt bulb of yours might come in handy for drying out the sand though.
Back to top Go down
ipreventdeath
Pandinus
ipreventdeath

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 1:13 pm

If I may put in my two cents here...

I've kept and bread numerous species of animals. Most of which I had the great opportunity to study in nature as well. Nature... Is a hell of place, especially for desert animals. Most have adapted to the harshness of this environment within their own special niche. Outside of that specialty zone, the animal will generally suffer and eventually die.
It's our job as the keepers of these animals to provide them with the ideal, perfected parameters of the niche they reside in. By providing all aspects of their natural environment, we not only give them the beneficial aspects of their environement, but also the negative. This can lead to our pets potentially experiencing that same suffering and death.

I routinely have a similar conversation with snake keepers in regards to feeding live, pre-killed or frozen food items. Live food is the most natural, however in the wild snakes a routinely killed when a prey item injures them in struggle and have the potential of passing on parasites if not kept properly. Frozen foods tend to lack vitamin and mineral content as many decay over time.

Essentially, if they are kept in a completely naturalistic environment, there are always inherent risks involved. To truly care for our pets, we must provide only those elements that they thrive on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Desert Scorpion Setup   My Desert Scorpion Setup - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Desert Scorpion Setup
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2