The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Rock Monitor rescue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Rock Monitor rescue Empty
PostSubject: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty8/5/2012, 2:35 pm

Hey guys

This is a old picture but I thought I'd share it anyway
Rock Monitor rescue 559291_3003873315595_1588991862_n
The lizard is a Rock Monitor. Can't remember the scientific name right now but they are very common in my area. This guy was about a meter, maybe longer. He had been attacked by someones dog and since I'm the local Reptile and Insect expert, they called me. They took it to my parents bar, I arrived two minutes later. They told me what happened, and said it was on the back of their "bakkie" (South African word for Pickup Truck). I then proceeded to lift it up and lay it on the grass. The Monitor didn't so much as move during that. I then proceeded to examine the wounds. They were mainly superficial wounds but looked quite bad anyway. The monitor was playing dead the entire time, so I decided to take it home to make sure it wasn't actually dead. Got home, put him in a temporary container and about ten minutes later started to wake up and was getting really agro. I eventually calmed him down by throwing a towl over him. I then grabbed him and released him into the wild just up the road.

This picture was unfortunetly the only decent picture I got of him but I hope you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty8/5/2012, 4:37 pm

Scientific name is Varanus
exanthematicus. Nice job on helping him.
Did he try to bite or tail whack you?
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty8/6/2012, 4:00 am

Both. It was quite harrowing, but it was good experience if I ever need to do it again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty8/6/2012, 11:39 am

cheers, man. Gotta say, I envy you for having monitors in your homeland - however, being a reptile lover I do not envy these kind of encounters... I get enough emails of beheaded "copperheads" (ALWAYS a harmless snake, 90% of the time a milk or king)

Good man for helpin it out, good lookin monitor
Back to top Go down
Parabuthus21
Hadogenes
Parabuthus21

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty9/3/2012, 12:58 am

It's nice to have people that care about animals like this, I'm sure most people would have left it there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock Monitor rescue   Rock Monitor rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Rock Monitor rescue
Page 1 of 1