The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Can emperor scorpions hiss?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sontron
Pandinus
sontron

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-30

Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty
PostSubject: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/8/2012, 8:40 pm

I was trying to take out some of the crickets in the terrarium since I accidentally put too many in, and I SWEAR that the scorpion hissed at me pale I have no idea if I was just imagining it or if it was really PO'ed at me.
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/8/2012, 10:49 pm

I've never heard of them doing it and never had any of my three do it.
Back to top Go down
KLN1988
Centruroides
KLN1988

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 4:03 am

Hey Sontron,

Im pretty new to scorps. I Got some H. laoticus, and last week i was going to fix my terrarium with falls bottom and stuf. But when i removed a big piece of wood in there, i saw that one of them had given birth! And i am pretty damn sure that she hissed at me too! she is normally very calm, but now that she has babies, she is super alert at agressiv. I dont hope that it was my imagination ^^
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 4:29 am

sontron wrote:

Yes. Although emps don't hiss very often, they have the ability to do it. One male I had, used to hiss regularly when disturbed.

KLN1988 wrote:
I Got some H. laoticus

H. laoticus are regular hissers. They like to hiss a LOT.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
KLN1988
Centruroides
KLN1988

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 4:41 am

Thanks DolbyR, Didnt know that! Its the first time i hear it, they are normaly very calm.
I got the biggest shock when it happend xD
Back to top Go down
sontron
Pandinus
sontron

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 6:51 am

Okay, thanks everyone! good to know that I am not just going insane XD
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 8:11 am

How do they hiss? By stridulating? Our native baboon spiders here can supposedly hiss by rubbing their scopulae together. One day a guy brought me a Baboon spider that he had found and the bloody thing hissed at me and I dropped the thing it was in in a canal (Here in our little town, we don't have stormater drains, we have open canals that fill up with water when it rains heavily) and the poor thing was carried off to never be seen again :'(

I've heard some local Opisthotalmus sp hiss once or twice when I came up across them once when I went herping. Maybe all scorps can hiss but most choose not to.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty7/9/2012, 8:23 am

Yes, they hiss by stridulating.
You can read more here https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8606-how-and-why-scorpions-hiss-pocock-1896#99408

Pretty good basic info, though there might be something more recent on the subject as well.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can emperor scorpions hiss?   Can emperor scorpions hiss? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1