The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty
PostSubject: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 12:49 am

i have 5 emperor scorpions, but my smallest scorpion hasnt come out in about a month, he relocated to a different cave and thats about all he did in the last month, all my other scorpions come out at night, i didnt have my mister/spray bottle for about two weeks to keep the humidity levels up, but i have it now and have been misting 3 times a day.... but im wondering if my one small scorpion isnt being active becuase hes trying to molt ???? and i know if the humidity levels arent rite it will cuase molting problems and the scorpion could die .... does any one know if scorpions become inactive when they are about to molt ??? the humidity levels are naturally between 25-60% but when i mist it brings them up to 80-90% for about an hour and then they slowly drop so i mist about 3 or 4 times a day. i was going to buy a humidity fogger but that will probably send the humidity levels through the roof. my scorpions are still young so i know they will be molting and i dont want to cuase any molting problems so i am trying my best to keep the humidity levels high. does any one know how often an emperor scorpion molts and is maybe thats why one of my scorpions hasnt been active????
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:17 am

How big is your scorp? Does your small scorp have a red telson? (stinger) If it does, then it's an adult and it won't molt again. If the telson is orange, or a lighter color, then it is not an adult yet.

If your scorp is in pre-molt, it will appear very fat. Yes, scorpions do become inactive before molts.

As for the humidity, it is recommended that you use a "false bottom" setup. If you don't know what that is, simply search the forum, you should get many results.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:47 am

There still small, the smallest one is the one im worried about, it did appear very fat and its inactive. its a good thing u told me about the false bottom set-up im going to try that for the humidity.... is a false bottom when i put an inch of gravel on the bottom of the cage , then a screen to keep the soil out and fill it with water ??????????
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 2:10 am

You don't really need the screen from my experience but ya that's what it is.i just Built mine the other day.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 3:58 am

jahines1 wrote:
You don't really need the screen from my experience but ya that's what it is.i just Built mine the other day.
+1.

Some people put a screen to keep the scorp from going down into the gravel layer. If you do this, make sure the the piece of screening is wide/long enough so that it touches all four sides of the tank, otherwise the scorp could burrow underneath the screening and get stuck.
Again, you don't need screening, (I don't use it) it's all personal preference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:01 pm

I'm lucky mine does not borrow very deep.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:48 pm

will a false-bottom make mold grow ??????????
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:53 pm

Not from my experience
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 1:55 pm

I'm using coconut fiber substrate tho.not sure if that makes adiffrence
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 2:32 pm

im using coco fiber too 3 big bags
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 2:56 pm

theres a picture of them, but u cant see the small one that i think is about to molt, the one that is inactive, cuase he barried himself on the left, part of his stinger is sticking out of the dirt
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 2:57 pm

i'd say there about medium size
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 3:03 pm

Might want to be careful.if he is bout to molt and you move everything around to put the false bottom in you could screw up his molt and possibly kill him. I recommend doing the best you can to maintain humidity without the false bottom till your sure he is either not molting our he is done molting.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 3:18 pm

yeah i agree, im waiting untill aug. 1st to put the false bottom in, thats the next time i have schedualled to change the soil, i think he should be done molting by then if he's going to...
Back to top Go down
jahines1
Centruroides
jahines1

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/24/2012, 5:25 pm

Cool well good luck
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/26/2012, 11:19 pm

jahines1 wrote:
Might want to be careful.if he is bout to molt and you move everything around to put the false bottom in you could screw up his molt and possibly kill him. I recommend doing the best you can to maintain humidity without the false bottom till your sure he is either not molting our he is done molting.
+1

Good luck emperor5.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty6/28/2012, 2:16 pm

emperor5 wrote:
yeah i agree, im waiting untill aug. 1st to put the false bottom in, thats the next time i have schedualled to change the soil, i think he should be done molting by then if he's going to...
If you remove uneaten prey and/or employ isopods, you shouldn't need to change your substrate. Regular spot cleaning should suffice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....   Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ .... Empty

Back to top Go down

Emperor Scorpion Molting Question... READ ....
Page 1 of 1