The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Do scorps get lonely?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scorpy89
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Do scorps get lonely?   6/21/2012, 5:03 pm

I just read that a species related to mine make tapping sounds to signal that they want to mate. My scorpion is a slightly different species but from time to time he taps on the side of the tank (it sounds like somebody knocking, for ages i didnt realise it was him till one day i caught him at it) and I am pretty certain hes signalling for other scorpions.
I am pretty certain you cant buy this breed anywhere around here, nor do I really want baby scorpions (we dont have the space for more creatures) but I dont want my scorp to be depressed. I mean he can see me, and Ill talk to him but yeah, you guys dont think he is too lonely and sad?
He didnt tap during the winter months and hes not really tapping so much now its june, it was more the previous two months.

I caught a largish house spider awhile ago for him to eat, but they made friends (would sleep next to each other) but the spider died because the scorps tank is not the right habitat for it. I put a smaller different spider last week but scorp didnt seem to like that one and also the spider started eating all of scorps crickets, so i remvoed it.

I mean, my scorpion seems fine, he likes walking around at night and he likes hanging upside down and also using the plant in the tank as a jungle gym, the only time I know he was depressed was when i put 3 large crickets in which bullied him (i removed them the next day). Other than that incident, hes never looked or acted sad. But it upsets me to think that he might be lonely, cause hes got a very sweet nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   6/21/2012, 7:05 pm

scorpy89 wrote:
I just read that a species related to mine make tapping sounds to signal that they want to mate. My scorpion is a slightly different species but from time to time he taps on the side of the tank (it sounds like somebody knocking, for ages i didnt realise it was him till one day i caught him at it) and I am pretty certain hes signalling for other scorpions.
I am pretty certain you cant buy this breed anywhere around here, nor do I really want baby scorpions (we dont have the space for more creatures) but I dont want my scorp to be depressed. I mean he can see me, and Ill talk to him but yeah, you guys dont think he is too lonely and sad?
He didnt tap during the winter months and hes not really tapping so much now its june, it was more the previous two months.
Scorpions don't get "lonely."

Um, as for the "he can see me, and Ill talk to him but yeah, you guys dont think he is too lonely and sad?"

1.) Scorpions have terrible vision, even if it could see you, it certainly wouldn't be comforted by your presence.
2.) Scorpions don't have hearing organs, they are very sensitive to vibrations and air movements though.

Quote :
I caught a largish house spider awhile ago for him to eat, but they made friends (would sleep next to each other) but the spider died because the scorps tank is not the right habitat for it. I put a smaller different spider last week but scorp didnt seem to like that one and also the spider started eating all of scorps crickets, so i remvoed it.
It's recommended that you don't feed other predatory arachnids or myriapods to scorpions. There is a risk that they could harm the scorp. (If it's large enough, the scorp could end up being the prey instead.) Also, many people on here (including myself) keep spiders, so in the future, if you really feel the need to feed it spiders, keep it to yourself.

Quote :
I mean, my scorpion seems fine, he likes walking around at night and he likes hanging upside down and also using the plant in the tank as a jungle gym, the only time I know he was depressed was when i put 3 large crickets in which bullied him (i removed them the next day). Other than that incident, hes never looked or acted sad. But it upsets me to think that he might be lonely, cause hes got a very sweet nature.
I doubt your scorp was "depressed" it probably just wasn't hungry.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
F1refly
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   6/22/2012, 11:23 am

Oh come on, where's your sense of humour. I for one do believe that any and all animals, regardless of Species, brain size et cetera can feel happy, sad, depressed, lonely et cetera but we as humans can't see that because they show it in a different way, if at all.

I keep spiders but have no problem with people feeding them to other animals, as long as it isn't rare species or what have you. Wouldn't do it myself though as I fear for the safety of my animals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   6/22/2012, 11:41 am

F1refly wrote:
Oh come on, where's your sense of humour.
Right here Wink : Out of Context Quotes

F1refly wrote:
I for one do believe that any and all animals, regardless of Species, brain size et cetera can feel happy, sad, depressed, lonely et cetera but we as humans can't see that because they show it in a different way, if at all.
You are right to a certain extent, but human emotions simply do not apply to these animals. They simply don't have the brain capacity for it, their behavior is the result of over 400 million years of instinct, reflex, and evolution.

F1refly wrote:
I keep spiders but have no problem with people feeding them to other animals, as long as it isn't rare species or what have you. Wouldn't do it myself though as I fear for the safety of my animals.
Personally, I'd rather keep the spider and observe it's behavior. To me, it just seems like a waste to feed it to a scorp. But this is just my personal opinion.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
scorpy89
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   6/22/2012, 2:30 pm

I like spiders very much, however, we have loads of them in our house. But scorp made friends with them so yeah, I shant be putting them in again, I will stick to crickets.

I think all creatures can feel atleast basic emotions, like happy, sad, and scared, and I think they can pick up on others emotions to some extent, like how dogs can sense if you are scared of them.

Scorpions arent on the level of dogs obviously. But I think some are somewhat social? From what I have read in other peoples posts, some species can be kept with more than 1 per tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emperor5
Tityus

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   6/27/2012, 11:58 pm

I Think communal scorpions will get lonley if there used to being in with other scorpions and then if u put it in a tank by itsself i think it would be wondering where everyone else went ! Smile lol.... thats why i bought 5 emps , they all sleep in the same cave or burrow. i know there not lonely. if its a non communal species and is used to being alone , then i dont think it would be lonley cuase its used to it.

if your scorpion is communal i think u should get it a friend. Smile

i talk to my scorpion sometimes too but i dont think they hear me, but they feel vibrations.

i honestly think your scorpion might be lonley if it was with other scorpions before u bought it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do scorps get lonely?   

Back to top Go down

Do scorps get lonely?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1