The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Are these Centruroides sculpturati?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
andy4c
Pandinus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-03-15

PostSubject: Are these Centruroides sculpturati?   6/16/2012, 9:47 pm

I got a hot tip that these are Centruroides sculpturatus. Wink (Thanks, mandelich) Here are some better pics. It's not that I doubt the ID I got so much as I just want to show some better close-ups to be sure. And show off my little pets! Haha.

I caught these in southeast Arizona. There are two of them. They both look the same underneath so I suppose they are female, since apparently the females are the ones who are okay with living with other scorpions. Smile

I'm having quite the time watching them move around the tank. Eventually I will get to see them feed. I've been giving them flies, butterflies, moths and other bugs from my Wisconsin yard.

Also, here is the habitat I have them in now. It is aquarium gravel, which I don't know whether I ought to change to something like soil or shredded coconut. And I'm thinking I might need a bigger slant of bark in there so they have room to moult. They might do that inside the deer skull if they have room, I don't know.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Just drop me a comment if you can confirm the species. (and sex.) Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Are these Centruroides sculpturati?   6/16/2012, 11:56 pm

They look like C. sculpturatus to me.
Quote :
There are two of them.
Are the first two pics of the same individual? That one is 100% male. The segments of the male's metasoma are noticeably longer than those of the female.
The scorp in the third pic looks female.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Gnat
Centruroides

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Are these Centruroides sculpturati?   6/17/2012, 3:34 am

I agree with the ID and sexing, 1 and 2 are male 3 is female. In my experience males and females can be kept together without problems, I have a pair living together now and had a pair that lived together a few years ago without any issue. Your set-up looks ok but I would put a piece of cork bark or something more vertical for them to hang out on/molt on but what you have looks alot more visually appealing than a slab of cork bark. I also love the old baseball and wasp nest you have in there, nice touch! You can tell the sex of these by the tail segments, males will be longer and thinner than the females, just compare the metasomas and you should be able to tell. Since there is really nothing to hold moisture (which they will need) I would put in a small water dish, like a mayo jar lid. I would also take out most of the 'junk' sticks and leave the skull, nest and baseball( just cause its cool) and put in a vertical piece, maybe even a piece of brick
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
andy4c
Pandinus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Are these Centruroides sculpturati?   6/29/2012, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the help. I've been slow in uptake on this stuff. they are still doing well.

The female is more plump now. I imagine she is gravid but haven't researched photos or anything.

Funny how I had the (false) impression that the way to sex them was by the genitalia, when those tail segments were waving like flags the whole time. lol

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these Centruroides sculpturati?   

Back to top Go down

Are these Centruroides sculpturati?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1